O'Rourke Invited to National Junior Team Selection Camp
CALGARY, Alta. - With less than one month until the puck drops on the 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship, Hockey Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Hockey League (CHL), has announced a roster of 35 players who have earned an invitation to Canada's National Junior Team selection camp, set for Dec. 9-12 in Calgary.
The roster was selected by Alan Millar (Tottenham, Ont.), director of player personnel, and James Boyd (Midland, Ont./Ottawa, OHL), the U20 lead for the Program of Excellence management group, with support from Scott Salmond (Creston, B.C.), senior vice-president of national teams. Head coach Dave Cameron (Kinkora, P.E.I./Ottawa, OHL), and assistant coaches Michael Dyck (Lethbridge, Alta./Vancouver, WHL), Louis Robitaille (Montreal, Que./Gatineau, QMJHL) and Dennis Williams (Stratford, Ont./Everett, WHL), as well as goaltending consultant Olivier Michaud (Beloeil, Que./Drummondville, QMJHL), also provided input, along with coaches and general managers across the CHL.
"We are excited to unveil the 35 players who will compete for a spot on Canada's National Junior Team at the 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship, and to continue working towards winning a gold medal on home ice," said Millar. "We know our athletes and staff are ready for a highly-competitive selection camp, and we look forward to assembling a group that will wear the Maple Leaf with pride and embrace the opportunity to once again compete in front of fans in Alberta."
The players, including three goaltenders, 11 defencemen and 21 forwards, will compete for a chance to represent Canada at the 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship, Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in Edmonton and Red Deer, Alta. The three goaltenders - Brett Brochu (Belle River, Ont./London, OHL), Sebastian Cossa (Fort McMurray, Alta./Edmonton, WHL) and Dylan Garand (Victoria, B.C./Kamloops, WHL) - have been named to Canada's final roster for the 2022 World Juniors.
Among the 35 players are three returnees who won a silver medal at the 2021 World Juniors - Garand, Kaiden Guhle (Sherwood Park, Alta./Prince Albert, WHL) and Cole Perfetti (Whitby, Ont./Manitoba, AHL).
"A lot of effort has gone in to selecting 35 athletes who have a chance to represent Canada at the 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship, and we expect to make some difficult decisions when it comes to selecting a final roster," said Salmond. "It is always an honour to represent Canada on the world stage, and even more so when you can do it on home ice, and we know our athletes and staff are excited for the opportunity to compete in Edmonton and Red Deer."
Canada's National Junior Team selection camp will be held at the WinSport Arena at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary. It will include practices and two games against a team of U SPORTS all-stars on Dec. 11 and 12 before the team heads to Banff, Alta., for a training camp, Dec. 14-19.
The 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship begins on Boxing Day with Canada kicking off its tournament schedule against the Czech Republic. In addition to its opening-night match-up, Canada will also play Austria on Dec. 28, Germany on Dec. 29 and Finland on Dec. 31 to wrap up preliminary-round action. All Team Canada games will be played at 5 p.m. MT/7 p.m. ET
TSN and RDS, the official broadcast partners of Hockey Canada, will carry extensive game coverage and analysis throughout the World Juniors. TSN will broadcast all 31 tournament games and five pre-tournament games, while RDS will broadcast all 31 tournament games and three pre-tournament games. TSN Radio will also provide comprehensive coverage and will announce its broadcast schedule at a later date.
For more information on Hockey Canada and Canada's National Junior Team, please visit HockeyCanada.ca, or follow along through social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and by using #OurGameIsBack.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 1, 2021
- Jackson, Vrbetic Honoured - North Bay Battalion
- Tracking the Storm - Dusty Jamieson - Guelph Storm
- Troops Going to the 'Dogs - North Bay Battalion
- OHL Announces Top Performers of the Month for November - OHL
- O'Rourke Invited to National Junior Team Selection Camp - Soo Greyhounds
- Official Coach Cal T-Shirts Available Exclusively at the Petes Store in Support of the Petes Pink in the Rink Campaign - Peterborough Petes
- Wright Named to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp Roster - Kingston Frontenacs
- Steelheads Searching for Wins - Mississauga Steelheads
- Generals Acquire Draft Pick from London Knights - Oshawa Generals
- Knights Acquire Overager from Generals - London Knights
- Attack Look to Build off Strong November - Owen Sound Attack
- Brochu, Evangelista Invited to Team Canada Selection Camp - London Knights
- Nine Past and Present OHL Players Named to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp Roster - OHL
- Will Cuylle Selected to Team Canada National Junior Team Camp Roster - Windsor Spitfires
- Mason McTavish Invited to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Peterborough Petes
- Dickinson, McDonnell and Pastujov Named to U.S. National Junior Team Preliminary Roster - Guelph Storm
- Tickets on Sale Now for 2022 Kubota CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Kitchener Rangers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.