Nine Past and Present OHL Players Named to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp Roster
December 1, 2021 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) News Release
Toronto, Ont. - The Ontario Hockey League is pleased to congratulate the nine past and present OHL players named to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp Roster for the 2022 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship set to begin on December 26th in Edmonton and Red Deer, Alta.
Of the nine players with OHL ties selected, two of them are currently competing in the American Hockey League. Winnipeg Jets prospect Cole Perfetti formerly of the Saginaw Spirit has started his season with the AHL's Manitoba Moose. Detroit Red Wings draftee Donovan Sebrango, a Kitchener Rangers alumnus, is patrolling the blueline for the AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins.
London Knights goaltender Brett Brochu joins Sebastian Cossa (Edmonton Oil Kings) and Dylan Garand (Kamloops Blazers) in being named to Canada's final National Junior Team roster.
Hockey Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp will run from December 9-12 in Calgary, with a total of 35 players invited.
The roster was selected by Alan Millar, director of player personnel, and James Boyd (Ottawa 67's), the U20 lead for the Program of Excellence management group, with support from Scott Salmond, senior vice-president of national teams. Head coach Dave Cameron (Ottawa 67's), and assistant coaches Michael Dyck (Vancouver Giants), Louis Robitaille (Gatineau Olympiques) and Dennis Williams (Everett Silvertips), as well as goaltending consultant Olivier Michaud (Drummondville Voltigeurs), also provided input, along with coaches and general managers across the CHL.
"We are excited to unveil the 35 players who will compete for a spot on Canada's National Junior Team at the 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship, and to continue working towards winning a gold medal on home ice," said Millar. "We know our athletes and staff are ready for a highly-competitive selection camp, and we look forward to assembling a group that will wear the Maple Leaf with pride and embrace the opportunity to once again compete in front of fans in Alberta."
Canada's National Junior Team selection camp will be held at the WinSport Arena at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary. It will include practices and two games against a team of U SPORTS all-stars on Dec. 11 and 12 before the team heads to Banff, Alta., for a training camp, Dec. 14-19.
Past and Present OHL Players Invited to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp:
Brett Brochu (London Knights)
Ryan O'Rourke (Soo Greyhounds)
Donovan Sebrango (Grand Rapids Griffins/Kitchener Rangers)
Jack Thompson (Sudbury Wolves)
Will Cuylle (Windsor Spitfires)
Luke Evangelista (London Knights)
Mason McTavish (Peterborough Petes)
Cole Perfetti (Manitoba Moose/Saginaw Spirit)*
Shane Wright (Kingston Frontenacs)
Hockey Operations Staff:
Management Group - James Boyd (Ottawa 67's)
Head Coach - Dave Cameron (Ottawa 67's)
Equipment Manager - Chris Hamilton (Ottawa 67's)*
Security Liaison - Bob Martin (London Knights)*
* - member of Canada's 2021 National Junior Team
The 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship begins on Boxing Day with Canada kicking off its tournament schedule against the Czech Republic. In addition to its opening-night match-up, Canada will also play Austria on Dec. 28, Germany on Dec. 29 and Finland on Dec. 31 to wrap up preliminary-round action. All Team Canada games will be played at 5 p.m. MT/7 p.m. ET
TSN and RDS, the official broadcast partners of Hockey Canada, will carry extensive game coverage and analysis throughout the World Juniors. TSN will broadcast all 31 tournament games and five pre-tournament games, while RDS will broadcast all 31 tournament games and three pre-tournament games. TSN Radio will also provide comprehensive coverage and will announce its broadcast schedule at a later date.
For more information on Hockey Canada and Canada's National Junior Team, please visit HockeyCanada.ca, or follow along through social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and by using #OurGameIsBack.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 1, 2021
- Jackson, Vrbetic Honoured - North Bay Battalion
- Tracking the Storm - Dusty Jamieson - Guelph Storm
- Troops Going to the 'Dogs - North Bay Battalion
- OHL Announces Top Performers of the Month for November - OHL
- O'Rourke Invited to National Junior Team Selection Camp - Soo Greyhounds
- Official Coach Cal T-Shirts Available Exclusively at the Petes Store in Support of the Petes Pink in the Rink Campaign - Peterborough Petes
- Wright Named to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp Roster - Kingston Frontenacs
- Steelheads Searching for Wins - Mississauga Steelheads
- Generals Acquire Draft Pick from London Knights - Oshawa Generals
- Knights Acquire Overager from Generals - London Knights
- Attack Look to Build off Strong November - Owen Sound Attack
- Brochu, Evangelista Invited to Team Canada Selection Camp - London Knights
- Nine Past and Present OHL Players Named to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp Roster - OHL
- Will Cuylle Selected to Team Canada National Junior Team Camp Roster - Windsor Spitfires
- Mason McTavish Invited to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Peterborough Petes
- Dickinson, McDonnell and Pastujov Named to U.S. National Junior Team Preliminary Roster - Guelph Storm
- Tickets on Sale Now for 2022 Kubota CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Kitchener Rangers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.