Orlando City Falls 3-1 to Montreal
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (0-1-2, 2 points) suffered its first defeat of the 2019 season on Saturday with a 3-1 loss to the Montreal Impact (2-1-0, 6 points) at Orlando City Stadium.
The match served as the debut for Orlando City 2019 SuperDraft pick Santiago Patiño, who the Lions selected No. 3 overall. The Orlando native and Florida International University product registered an assist on the afternoon off City's lone goal from Dom Dwyer in the 91st minute.
Head Coach James O'Connor:
"The big thing I just spoke about there [in the locker room] is our mentality needs to be way stronger. I think to play for this football club you need to have a really strong mentality. That's something that is really evident. When we start a game like that and defend honestly the way we did, you make it practically impossible to give yourself a chance to go on and win the game. You can't defend like that and expect to get something out of the game."
14' Orji Okwonkwo (Saphir Tadïer) - MTL 1, ORL 0
The visitors strike first, with a cross from Tadïer finding the foot of Okwonkwo who fires a shot into the left side of the netting to open the scoring.
15' Ignacio Piatti (Maximilliano Urruti) - MTL 2, ORL 0
After a miscue by the City defense, Piatti is able to get on the end of an erroneous backward pass to double the lead.
80' Ignacio Piatti (Harry Novillo) - MTL 3, ORL 0
A City turnover right outside the 18-yard box gives Piatti another open look, in which he capitalizes on to extend the lead for the visitors.
90+1' Dom Dwyer (Santiago Patiño, Chris Mueller) - MTL 3, ORL 1
A ball from Chris Mueller finds Santiago Patiño at the top of the 18-yard box. He works his way in behind the defense and lays off a pass for Dwyer, who gets the Lions on the board.
For the second week in a row, James O'Connor is forced into an early substitution due to injury. Midfielder Will Johnson exited the match in the fourth minute for concussion protocol, giving way to Cristian Higuita who made his 95th MLS appearance for City.
2019 MLS SuperDraft pick Santiago Patino made his MLS debut, entering the match in the 74th minute. Patino, the No. 3 pick overall, is a native of Orlando.
Montreal was reduced to 10-men late in stoppage time, when Zakaria Diallo was sent off for violent conduct in the 90+6'
Orlando City will head back out on the road to face the New York Red Bulls on Saturday, March 23 at 7:30 p.m. ET at Red Bull Arena.
Teams 1 2 F
Orlando City SC 0 1 1
Montreal Impact 2 1 3
MTL - Orji Okwonkwo (Saphir Tadïer) 14'
MTL - Ignacio Piatti 15'
MTL - Ignacio Piatti (Harry Novillo) 80'
ORL - Dom Dwyer (Santiago Patiño, Chris Mueller) 90+1'
ORL - Brian Rowe (Yellow Card) 15'
ORL - Shane O'Neill (Yellow Card) 23'
MTL - Michael Azira (Yellow Card) 32'
ORL - Danilo Acosta (Yellow Card) 55'
MTL - Orji Okwonkwo (Yellow Card) 57'
MTL - Zakaria Diallo (Red Card) 90+6'
ORL - Cristian Higuita (Yellow Card) 90+7'
Orlando City SC - GK Brian Rowe; D Shane O'Neill (Josué Colmán 74'), Carlos Ascues, Danilo Acosta (Santiago Patiño 74'); M Ruan, Will Johnson (Cristian Higuita 21'), Sacha Kljestan, Sebastián Méndez, Chris Mueller; F Dom Dwyer, â'¸ Nani
Substitutes Not Used: GK Greg Ranjitsingh; D Alex De John; M Kyle Smith, Oriol Rosell
Montreal Impact - GK Evan Bush; D Bacary Sagna, Víctor Cabrera (Mathieu Choinière 83'), Zakaria Diallo, Daniel Lovitz; M Michael Azira, Samuel Piette, Saphir Tadïer; F Orji Okwonkwo (Harry Novillo), Maximilliano Urruti (Jukka Raitala 76'), Ignacio Piatti
Substitutes Not Used: GK Clément Diopp; D Rudy Camacho; M Shamit Shome, F Anthony Jackson-Hamel
Details of the Game:
Time: 4 p.m. ET
Date: March 16, 2019
ORL - 48.5%
MTL - 51.5%
ORL - 9
MTL - 19
ORL - 8
MTL - 1
ORL - 17
MTL - 13
ORL - 2
MTL - 5
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 16, 2019
- Earthquakes Fall to New York Red Bulls on Road - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bulls Roll Past San Jose, 4-1, in MLS Home Opener - New York Red Bulls
- Impact Defeats Orlando City SC 3-1 - Montreal Impact
- Orlando City Falls 3-1 to Montreal - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Falls 1-0 at MAPFRE Stadium - FC Dallas
- Rodriguez's Brace Powers Dynamo to 3-2 Win over Vancouver - Houston Dynamo
- Montero and Bangoura score, but 'Caps fall in wild match against Houston - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Falls 4-2 to Seattle Sounders FC - Chicago Fire
- Following 4-2 Victory in Chicago, Sounders FC Begins Season 3-0-0 for the First Time Since 2009 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sunday's FC Cincinnati MLS Home Opener is Sold Out - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Travels to New York City for First Road Game against NYCFC - Los Angeles FC
- Midfielder Saphir Taider Called up by Algeria - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- History Made: Lions Set New Club-Record
- Orlando City Beats Kansas City 2-1 to Set Club Record Seven-Game Unbeaten Streak
- Orlando City Forward Matheus Aias to Undergo Additional Medical Testing
- Orlando City SC Announces Final Nine Matches of MLS Regular-Season Schedule
- Orlando City Travels to Sporting Kansas City for Midweek Match