Orlando City Closes out Three-Game Home Stint against Columbus Crew
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (9-4-8, 35 points) is set to take on Columbus Crew (7-9-6, 27 points) on Saturday, Sept. 4 at Exploria Stadium in the last fixture of a three-game home stint. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. ET with coverage set to begin at 7 p.m. ET on FOX35 PLUS.
The match, presented by Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, will serve as the first of Major League Soccer's Kick Childhood Cancer Month. In addition to being locally broadcast on FOX35 PLUS, Saturday's match will be available to stream on LionNation TV while being transmitted on Real Radio 104.1 in English and Acción 97.9FM, 810AM in Spanish. Tickets are available here or by calling (855) ORL-CITY.
"Columbus is a rival that has been struggling lately, but we see that as just data knowing that we have to prepare ourselves in the best way possible. Knowing the rival, we haven't played them yet this year, but we did last year as one of the best teams in Major League Soccer who won the championship," Head Coach Oscar Pareja said. "That should be extra motivation for everybody. The importance of the game, the rival, it's a necessity to just get points. I'm excited to play Columbus here, the boys as always have been training hard and preparing the best they can."
City will look for its seventh-consecutive result on Saturday night while also looking to add to a four-game win streak against the Crew, dating back to 2018. The last time the two sides squared off came on Nov. 4, 2020, a match that saw Benji Michel net a late game-winner in the 84th minute despite the home side being down a man.
The Lions come into the fixture following a scoreless draw against Inter Miami CF last Friday. Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese tallied a pair of saves in his return to the lineup to record his fifth shutout of the season and the seventh in total for the Club on the year.
Nani leads the Lions with nine goals this season, followed by Michel with four. Mauricio Pereyra holds the team-high in assists with eight, with Nani following with six.
Columbus enters the weekend after taking a come-from-behind victory over rivals FC Cincinnati in its last outing. A brace from Miguel Berry in the 81st and 82nd minutes, respectively, led the Crew to a home victory at Lower.com Field.
Lucas Zelarayan leads the Crew with seven goals this year, followed by Gyasi Zardes with four. Zelarayan also sits tied for the team high in assists with Pedro Santos, each with three on the year.
Following Saturday's match, the Lions will head out on the road to take on Atlanta United FC on Friday, Sept. 10 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in a 7 p.m. ET kickoff.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 3, 2021
- Nashville Soccer Club Takes Sole Possession of Second Place in the Eastern Conference with Victory over New York City FC - Nashville SC
- Revolution Defeat Philadelphia Union, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Dynamo Fall to Portland Timbers 2-0 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Timbers Shut out Houston Dynamo FC 2-0 at BBVA Stadium - Portland Timbers
- Six Union Homegrowns make appearances in loss to New England - Philadelphia Union
- Preview: Rapids Take Six-Game Unbeaten Streak to San Jose in Nationally Televised Contest - Colorado Rapids
- Orlando City Closes out Three-Game Home Stint against Columbus Crew - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Adds MLS Pool Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh Ahead of Columbus Match - Orlando City SC
- CF Montréal to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC in 2021 Play Unified Competition Beginning Tuesday - Club de Foot Montreal
- #RSLvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- "Grow the Movement" Ticket Initiative to Return for Fan Appreciation Night on October 23 - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Loans Dylan Castanheira to San Diego Loyal SC - Inter Miami CF
- Priso Undergoes Successful Surgery - Toronto FC
- Texas MLS & NWSL Teams Unite to Raise Funds for Hurricane Ida Victims - FC Dallas
- Learn More About Guzmán Corujo - Charlotte FC
- Real Salt Lake Returns Home to Face FC Dallas - Real Salt Lake
- Texas MLS & NWSL Teams Unite to Raise Funds for Hurricane Ida Victims - Houston Dynamo FC
- Austin FC Unites with Other Texas MLS and NWSL Clubs to Raise Funds for Hurricane Ida Victims - Austin FC
- Revolution Academy Announces 2021-22 Roster Ahead of MLS NEXT Season - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City SC Declines to Exercise Option on Forward Nani
- City Falls to Nashville SC in Round One of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Orlando City Opens Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs at Nashville SC
- Orlando City to Host CF Montréal in 2022 Home Opener on February 27, Presented by Orlando Health
- Orlando City, Pride to Host Annual Orlando City Foundation Turkey Giveaway Presented by Publix on Monday, November 22