Learn More About Guzmán Corujo
Guzmán Corujo joins Charlotte FC from NacionalÂ as the 7thÂ ever signing for the club.Â Read on to learnÂ more about the club's new signing.
Corujo was born in Rodríguez, a small town just north Uruguay's capital, Montevideo. He did not have toÂ travel far to begin his professional playing career, joining nearbyÂ NacionalÂ in the capital city inÂ his teens.
Founded in 1899,Â ClubÂ NacionalÂ de FootballÂ is one of the biggest and oldestÂ teams in theÂ Uruguayan Primera División. Corujo spent his entire playing career up until now with Nacional. He made his debut for themÂ in 2017 and went on toÂ makeÂ over 100 appearancesÂ for the club.
During his time there, heÂ became co-captain and won the league twice. He also made 22 appearances in theÂ Copa Libertadores, the prestigious continental club competition in South America.
Standing at 6-foot-2, Corujo lines up as a right center back in the defense.Â His defending is reminiscent of more traditional, old-fashioned center backs. This meansÂ heÂ is aggressive in his duels andÂ tackles hard, butÂ is intelligentÂ in his defending.
His height and athleticism help him win headers at both ends of the pitch andÂ is a threat on attacking set pieces. He also describes himself as ultra-competitive, wanting nothing else but to win.
OnÂ the pitch Corujo isÂ fieryÂ and vocal,Â butÂ off the pitch, he is quite the opposite. He is laid-backÂ and enjoys the more tranquil parts of life. Mate is at the core of his more serene lifestyle.Â
Pronounced MAH-tay,Â it is a type of tea native to South AmericaÂ cultivated from the leaves and young twigs of the mateÂ tree.Â It is an integral part of Uruguayan culture and to many it is muchÂ more than just a hot beverage.
"It's an infusion of warm yerba mate that accompanies us for a large part of the day.Â It helps start conversations when you are with someone," Corujo describes. "But it also gives you company when you are alone."
For Corujo, drinking mate is a demonstration of values such as solidarity, companionship,Â respect, kindness, modesty, andÂ generosity.
.fusion-fullwidth.fusion-builder-row-1 , .fusion-fullwidth.fusion-builder-row-1 .fusion-fullwidth.fusion-builder-row-1 , .fusion-fullwidth.fusion-builder-row-2 .fusion-fullwidth.fusion-builder-row-2
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 3, 2021
- Nashville Soccer Club Takes Sole Possession of Second Place in the Eastern Conference with Victory over New York City FC - Nashville SC
- Revolution Defeat Philadelphia Union, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Dynamo Fall to Portland Timbers 2-0 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Timbers Shut out Houston Dynamo FC 2-0 at BBVA Stadium - Portland Timbers
- Six Union Homegrowns make appearances in loss to New England - Philadelphia Union
- Preview: Rapids Take Six-Game Unbeaten Streak to San Jose in Nationally Televised Contest - Colorado Rapids
- Orlando City Closes out Three-Game Home Stint against Columbus Crew - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Adds MLS Pool Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh Ahead of Columbus Match - Orlando City SC
- CF Montréal to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC in 2021 Play Unified Competition Beginning Tuesday - Club de Foot Montreal
- #RSLvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- "Grow the Movement" Ticket Initiative to Return for Fan Appreciation Night on October 23 - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Loans Dylan Castanheira to San Diego Loyal SC - Inter Miami CF
- Priso Undergoes Successful Surgery - Toronto FC
- Texas MLS & NWSL Teams Unite to Raise Funds for Hurricane Ida Victims - FC Dallas
- Learn More About Guzmán Corujo - Charlotte FC
- Real Salt Lake Returns Home to Face FC Dallas - Real Salt Lake
- Texas MLS & NWSL Teams Unite to Raise Funds for Hurricane Ida Victims - Houston Dynamo FC
- Austin FC Unites with Other Texas MLS and NWSL Clubs to Raise Funds for Hurricane Ida Victims - Austin FC
- Revolution Academy Announces 2021-22 Roster Ahead of MLS NEXT Season - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte FC Stories
- Charlotte FC Signs Free Agent Goalkeeper Adrián Zendejas
- Charlotte FC Academy Receives First Youth National Team Camp Call-Ups for USA, Liberia
- Charlotte FC Sells Midfielder Riley McGree to Middlesbrough FC
- Single Match Tickets on Sale Now
- Charlotte FC Announces Preseason Schedule for 2022 MLS Season