Oklahoma City Goes Cold in Iowa
DES MOINES, Iowa, Feb. 5, 2019 - The Oklahoma City Blue (25-10) fell to the Iowa Wolves (12-23), 132-106, on Tuesday afternoon.
After a handful of lead changes to start the game, the Blue gained the edge in the first frame, going up by as many as nine in the quarter and heading into the second with a 35-28 advantage. The Wolves narrowed the gap in the second quarter, but the Blue still held a slim 65-63 lead as the teams headed into the break thanks to 13 first-half points from Dez Wells, who finished with a bench-leading 15.
Out of the break, Oklahoma City went back up by as many as seven points before Iowa went on a 24-6 run midway through the third powered by nine points from Darius Odom-Johnson. The Wolves ended the quarter with a 100-89 edge and the Blue were then unable to cut into the deficit in the final frame. Another 12-2 run by the Wolves to put the game out of reach as Iowa outscored Oklahoma City 69-41 in the second half.
Odom-Johnson scored 20 of his 22 points in the second half of play, but two-way player Jared Terrell led the Wolves with 25 points on 11-for-17 shooting.
Scotty Hopson was nearly perfect, going 11-for-12 en route to a team-leading 24 points, four rebounds and five assists, not missing a single attempt until midway through the fourth quarter. Two-way player Donte Grantham and Richard Solomon each turned in 13 points and eight rebounds with Grantham tacking on four assists and Solomon going 5-of-8 from the floor.
There were seven Oklahoma City players in double figures and the team dished out 25 assists to Iowa's 19, but the Blue was outshot 48.6 percent to 28.1 percent from beyond the arc.
Up next, the Blue will travel to Austin to take on the Spurs on Friday, Feb. 8 at 7:30 p.m. inside H-E-B Center at Cedar Park.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 5, 2019
- Windy City Captures Third Straight Victory, Beats Capital City 121-109 - Windy City Bulls
- Payton II Locks in Triple-Double as Vipers Win Big against Suns - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- George King Scores Career-High in Suns' Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
- Stars to Host "STEM Night" at Vivint Smart Home Arena on February 8 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Legends Acquire Returning Player Rights to Deandre Daniels - Texas Legends
- Suspended Game Between Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Rescheduled for March 13 - Erie BayHawks
- Suspended Game Between Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Rescheduled for March 13 - G League
- Suspended Game Between Long Island Nets and Erie BayHawks Rescheduled for March 13 - Long Island Nets
- Oklahoma City Goes Cold in Iowa - Oklahoma City Blue
- Austin Spurs Defeat Delaware Blue Coats 119-108 - Austin Spurs
- Wolves Roll in Win over Western Conference Elite - Iowa Wolves
- BayHawks Fall to Swarm in Matinee Match - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Cruise Past Herd - Wisconsin Herd
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Blue Stories
- Oklahoma City Announces Coaching Staff Updates
- Oklahoma City Acquires Returning Player Rights to Beau Beech and First-Round Draft Pick
- Thunder Signs Devon Hall to Two-Way Contract
- Oklahoma City Blue Announces 2019-20 Regular-Season Schedule
- Oklahoma City Wins Overtime Nail-Biter