Oilers Prospect and General Manager Named to Hockey Canada's National Under-17 Camp Roster
(EDMONTON, AB) - Edmonton Oil Kings prospect Caleb Reimer has been invited to Hockey Canada's virtual national under-17 development camp, set for July 19-25, in preparation for the 2020 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, presented by TELUS, in Charlottetown and Summerside, P.E.I., in November. Hockey Canada also announced support staffs for all three Canadian teams, which includes Oil Kings President and General Manager Kirt Hill being as director of operations for one of these teams.
In total, 12 goaltenders, 37 defencemen and 64 forwards will be split into six teams for the week-long virtual camp, participating in a variety of sessions with a focus on player development through online education.
Caleb Reimer is a 6'2", 161-pound forward who has played at the Delta Hockey Academy for the past three seasons, posting 35 points (17G, 18A) in 36 games with the Prep team this past season.
The native of Surrey, BC was the Oil Kings' first round selection, 18th overall, in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft.
Kirt Hill has just completed his second season as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager for the Edmonton Oil Kings, leading the team to two first place finishes in the Central Division, also reaching the 2019 WHL Eastern Conference Finals, losing to the eventual WHL champions, the Prince Albert Raiders. This will mark his first opportunity with Hockey Canada's Program of Excellence in a staff capacity.
The Winnipeg, MB native joined the Oil Kings after one season as a scout with the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks. Hill has a wealth of Western Hockey League experience, having worked for the League from 2014-17 in the role of Manager of Player Development and Recruitment, as well as Director of Hockey Operations. Prior to his time at the WHL head office, he worked as a member of the Ottawa Senators marketing department during the 2013-14 season.
Hill was drafted in the 2nd round, 40th overall by the Kelowna Rockets in the 2003 WHL Bantam Draft. He spent two-and-a-half seasons with the Rockets which culminated in a WHLChampionship in 2005 before suiting up for the Regina Pats from 2006-08. Prior to his time in the WHL, he won gold with Team Canada West at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in 2004.
Following his junior playing career, he played one season with the Lincoln Stars (USHL) in 2008-09, followed by four seasons with the University of Waterloo Warriors (U SPORTS) from 2009-13. Hill graduated from the University of Waterloo with an undergraduate degree in Recreation and Sports Business.
Behind the bench, Oilers alumnus Kelly Buchberger (Langenburg, Sask./Tri-City, WHL) is one of the thee head coaches named by Hockey Canada, and will head Team Canada White.
For more information on Hockey Canada and the Program of Excellence, please visit HockeyCanada.ca, or follow along via social media on Facebook and Twitter.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 24, 2020
- Holland Inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Jarome Iginla Elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame - Kamloops Blazers
- Jordan Gustafson and Kevin Korchinski Named to Team Canada U-17 Development Camp - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Mallette named an assistant for upcoming 2020 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - Kelowna Rockets
- Hockey Canada Names Buchberger Head Coach for National Men's U-17 Team White - Tri-City Americans
- 3 Wheat Kings Prospects Invited to Hockey Canada Under-17 Development Camp - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Prospect Ben Thornton Invited to Hockey Canada U-17 Camp - Spokane Chiefs
- Oilers Prospect and General Manager Named to Hockey Canada's National Under-17 Camp Roster - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Four Broncos Prospects Invited to Virtual Team Canadian National U17 Development Camp - Swift Current Broncos
- Crocker Invited to Hockey Canada's National Under-17 Development Camp - Prince Albert Raiders
- Royals' Jason Spizawka & Kalem Parker Named to Hockey Canada's Under-17 Development Camp - Victoria Royals
- Two Giants Prospects Named to Team Canada's U-17 Summer Development Camp - Vancouver Giants
- Blazers Send Three Players to Canada's Under-17 Development Camp - Kamloops Blazers
- Lisowsky to Participate in Hockey Canada's U-17 Virtual Development Camp - Saskatoon Blades
- Hockey Canada Names 35 WHL Players to National Under-17 Development Camp - WHL
- Three Cougars Named to Hockey Canada's National Under 17 Development Camp - Prince George Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Neighbours Drafted 26th Overall by St. Louis Blues
- St. Louis Blues Select Jake Neighbours 26th Overall in the 2020 NHL Draft
- Edmonton to Host Back-To-Back World Juniors
- Oil Kings Acquire Draft Picks from Everett
- Svanenbergs Signs Standard Players Agreement with Oil Kings