Oil Kings Acquire Semchuk and Scott
Edmonton, AB - Edmonton Oil Kings General Manager Randy Hansch announced today the team has acquired right-winger Brendan Semchuk, goaltender Todd Scott and a third-round draft pick in 2018 from the Vancouver Giants in exchange for centre Davis Koch and a conditional third-round draft pick in 2019.
Semchuk, who is 6-foot-0 and 187 pounds, has recorded 19 points (8G, 11A) in 33 games with Vancouver this season. The Kamloops, BC native was Vancouver's first-round draft pick (10th overall) in 2014 and has spent his entire WHL career with the Giants and has 41 points (17G, 24A) in 127 games.
Scott, who hails from Albertville, MN, is in his first WHL season and has compiled an 8-7-3-1 record with a 4.11 GAA and .869 save percentage. The 6-foot-0, 199-pound goalie appeared in seven games last year with the Sioux City Musketeers (USHL) posting a 2-4-0-0 record with a 2.51 GAA and .903 save percentage. He has appeared on the most recent NHL Central Scouting 'Players to Watch' List.
"We were presented with a situation where Davis requested a trade," said Hansch. "Up until yesterday there didn't appear to be a trade and it was going to be an unfortunate situation where Davis would have to sit for the year. However, we were able to facilitate a trade with Vancouver and move forward on a deal that brought two players we are excited to welcome into our group and a draft pick."
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2018
- Everett 4 - Tri-City 0 - Everett Silvertips
- Giants Earn a Single Point in a 4-3 Overtime Loss up North - Vancouver Giants
- Regina Pats (3) vs Edmonton Oil Kings (4) OT - Regina Pats
- Hitmen three-game East Division road trip continues Friday in Brandon - Calgary Hitmen
- Pats complete trade with Hurricanes for defenceman Brady Pouteau - Regina Pats
- Warriors Acquire Kale Clague - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Prince George Cougars Cougars, Winterhawks Strike Massive Deadline Deal - Prince George Cougars
- Pats Acquire Defenceman Aaron Hyman from Seattle Thunderbirds - Regina Pats
- Blazers Send Jeri-Leon to Lethbridge for Draft Pick - Kamloops Blazers
- T-Birds Acquire Jaxan Kaluski from Moose Jaw - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Giants Recall Goaltender Trent Miner for Remainder of the Season - Vancouver Giants
- Giants Trade Defenceman Austin King-Cunningham to the Tri-City Americans - Vancouver Giants
- Oil Kings Acquire Semchuk and Scott - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Giants Acquire 19-Year-Old Forward Davis Koch from the Edmonton Oil Kings - Vancouver Giants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.