O'Hara, Sonnett Named to USWNT's 2021 SheBelieves Cup Roster
Leesburg, VA. - U.S. Women's National Team Head Coach Vlatko Andonovski has named Spirit defenders Kelley O'Hara and Emily Sonnett to the 23-player roster for the 2021 SheBelieves Cup set to be held February 18 - February 24 in Orlando, Florida.
The SheBelieves Cup features the top-ranked United States, Brazil and Canada (tied for 8th in the FIFA World Rankings) and No. 31 Argentina, who replace Japan after they withdrew from the tournament. All of the USWNT's matches will be shown on FS1 and TUDN. Of the four participating teams, only Argentina failed to qualify for the knockout stage of the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup. For more information on the tournament, including rosters for the other three teams, visit US Soccer.com
The USWNT will play Canada on February 18 (7 p.m. ET on FS1, TUDN), Brazil on February 21 (3 p.m. ET on FS1, TUDN) and Argentina on February 24 (7 p.m. ET of FS1, TUDN). For the USWNT, SheBelieves follows successful back-to-back contests against Colombia in January.
O'Hara, who was acquired by the Spirit in a December trade from the Utah Royals, has been an active participant on the national side since the team returned this past fall. During the shortened year for the WNT, O'Hara appeared in eight games, starting in six of those matches for a total of 523 minutes played. She started the first of two games against Colombia in January and was subbed off in the 72 minute. The veteran fullback is aiming to make her third Olympic roster after appearing for the U.S. at the 2012 London and 2016 Rio Olympics.
Sonnett, another acquisition by the Spirit in December, has also been called into multiple national team camps in recent months. Sonnett recently logged 108 minutes in the two friendlies against Colombia, starting the second match and playing the full 90 minutes. After being named an alternate for the 2016 Rio Olympics, Sonnett is hoping to make her Olympic debut in Tokyo. In 2020, she played in six games, starting four and racked up 384 minutes in total. She also was a vital member of the Kopparbergs/GÃ¶teborg team that won the Damallsvenskan this past season.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from February 1, 2021
- Houston Dash sign DF Annika Schmidt - Houston Dash
- NWSL Announces 2021 Preseason Rosters - NWSL
- Thorns FC Announce 2021 Preseason Roster - Portland Thorns FC
- North Carolina Courage Roster Update Ahead of 2021 Preseason - North Carolina Courage
- Washington Spirit Announce 26-Player Preseason Roster - Washington Spirit
- Racing Sets Preseason Roster as Training Begins - Racing Louisville FC
- Orlando Pride Announces 2021 Preseason Opening Day Roster - Orlando Pride
- Sky Blue FC Announces 2021 Preseason Roster - Sky Blue FC
- Kansas City NWSL Announces Preseason Roster - Kansas City
- Chicago Red Stars Announce Their 2021 Preseason Roster - Chicago Red Stars
- OL Reign Announces 2021 Preseason Roster - OL Reign
- Alex Morgan Named to 23-Player USWNT Roster for SheBelieves Cup - Orlando Pride
- Three Chicago Red Stars Named to the U.S. SheBelieves Cup Roster - Chicago Red Stars
- Racing's Fox to Join USWNT for SheBelieves Cup Training - Racing Louisville FC
- O'Hara, Sonnett Named to USWNT's 2021 SheBelieves Cup Roster - Washington Spirit
- Megan Rapinoe Named to SheBelieves Cup Roster - OL Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Spirit Stories
- Paul Crichton Joins Spirit Technical Staff as Goalkeeper Coach
- Washington Spirit Fall to Sky Blue FC in Preseason Game Presented by WAGS Tournament
- O'Hara, Sonnett Named to USWNT's April Friendlies
- Washington Spirit Announce Cancelation of Preseason Match vs. Orlando
- Washington Spirit Continue Preseason with 5-0 Victory over IMG Academy