Offense Stalls in Home Loss for Sanford
SANFORD - For the third time in as many games, the *Sanford Mainers (3-4)* offense sputtered throughout, falling to the Keene Swamp Bats (6-1) at Goodall Park by a 3-1 score Friday night.
The Mainers would grab just four hits in the entire game, never collecting more than single hit in an inning. Keene starter Joey Murray (Kent State) only went three innings but set the pace for night and the Swamp Bats pitching staff, setting down four Mainers by strike out in the early stages of the evening. In all, the Mainers would strike out 10 times in the game against the Swamp Bat pitching staff.
Keene would grab everything they would for the night need in terms of offense in the top of the first inning. After a Sanford error put a man on-base, Ryan Costello (Central Connecticut) singled to put men on the corners, or so it seemed. An errant throw from center field would bypass the entire Mainers infield scoring a run and sending Costello to second. Another base hit in the frame would knock him in, making it 2-0.
Sanford would sincerely threaten in the 6th, as *Ako Thomas (Michigan) *and *Shaine Hughes (Monmouth) *both reached base by way of the walk to open the bottom of the inning. After a fly out advanced Thomas to third and the score 3-0, *Nelson Mompierre (Miami Dade) *singled through the left side to put the Mainers on the board, 3-1. With men still at the corners *Zach Jancarski (Maryland) *hit a screaming liner back up the middle, which seemed destined for a base hit, but was snagged by Jordan Howard (Lee) to record the second out. The next man would strikeout to end the Mainers threat.
The Mainers would put five men on-base over the next three innings, but could not get the big hit in any of those innings to bring the game even.
The Mainers resume play June 18, when they travel for the first time in franchise history to Hartford, Vermont to face the Upper Valley Nighthawks. First pitch is at 6:30 PM, and the broadcast can be found on the NECBL Broadcast Network and the Legends in Sanford, 1220 AM and 102.3 FM.
• Discuss this story on the New England Collegiate Baseball League message board...
New England Collegiate Baseball League Stories from June 18, 2016
- Swamp Bats win 3rd in a row, beat Steeplecats 5-3 - Keene Swamp Bats
- Dube's Strong Start Lifts Schooners 4-1 - Mystic Schooners
- Bay Sox Fall to Westerners in Game Two - New Bedford Bay Sox
- Rally Incomplete as Westerners Top Bay Sox - New Bedford Bay Sox
- Gulls Win on 11th-Inning Walk-Off Grand Slam - Newport Gulls
- Gulls Offense Explodes on SteepleCats - North Adams SteepleCats
- SteepleCats Get It Done with Defense - North Adams SteepleCats
- Offense Stalls in Home Loss for Sanford - Sanford Mainers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sanford Mainers Stories
- Three Former Moose Sign UFA Contracts with MLB Teams
- Curley Named Recipient of David M. Ahern Memorial Scholarship
- Mainers Close out SteepleCats to Finish Season Strongly
- Moose Nearly Miss out on Win in Montpelier
- Mainers Drop Extra-Inning Heartbreaker to Blue Sox