Gulls Offense Explodes on SteepleCats
The North Adams SteepleCats continued to swing the bats well, but it was not enough as the Newport Gulls poured it on with 15 hits in an 11-4 victory over the SteepleCats Wednesday night at Cardines Field. The loss dropped the SteepleCats to 4-3 on the season and snapped a three game winning streak.
The Gulls jumped on 'Cats starter Patrick Ryan early and did not let up. After the 'Cats took a 1-0 lead on Benjamin Bengston's RBI single in the second inning, the Gulls answered with four unanswered runs of their own, courtesy of two run home runs hit by Stephen Scott and Chris Chatfield.
"Overall, a good ballgame tonight but we just did not get it done on the mound tonight," said Head Coach Mike Armstrong. "The lesson to be learned is that you got to pitch down when you are facing good hitters."
On the positive side, the SteepleCats kept the deficit close for most of the game. Keaton Wright added a pair of hits and runs each continuing his excellent start to the season. Nick Riotto managed to break out of his early season slump and added three hits and two RBIs. Josh Simpson and Logan Austin each pitched a scoreless inning in relief to keep the 'Cats in it.
"I was very happy with our offense even though we only scored four runs but we hit the ball hard all night," said Coach Armstrong. "Offense is still clicking along and the defense played well minus one play."
The game was still was still in the game in the eighth inning when the SteepleCats trailed 7-4. The Gulls added four insurance runs in the bottom half of the inning to put it out of reach.
The SteepleCats look to bounce back on Friday night at 6:30 PM against the Upper Valley Nighthawks in White River Junction, Vermont after an off day Thursday.
"It is going to be a well deserved off day," said Coach Armstrong. "A good day to rest the bodies and the brains and we will be ready to get back at it on Friday."
• Discuss this story on the New England Collegiate Baseball League message board...
New England Collegiate Baseball League Stories from June 18, 2016
- Swamp Bats win 3rd in a row, beat Steeplecats 5-3 - Keene Swamp Bats
- Dube's Strong Start Lifts Schooners 4-1 - Mystic Schooners
- Bay Sox Fall to Westerners in Game Two - New Bedford Bay Sox
- Rally Incomplete as Westerners Top Bay Sox - New Bedford Bay Sox
- Gulls Win on 11th-Inning Walk-Off Grand Slam - Newport Gulls
- Gulls Offense Explodes on SteepleCats - North Adams SteepleCats
- SteepleCats Get It Done with Defense - North Adams SteepleCats
- Offense Stalls in Home Loss for Sanford - Sanford Mainers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.