Dube's Strong Start Lifts Schooners 4-1
PLYMOUTH - Kyle Dube started and threw 5.1 innings and only allowed one run to pick up the win for Schooners who took it by a score of 4-1 in Plymouth Saturday night.
The starting pitcher for the Pilgrims did not allow a hit until the fifth inning. With one out in the inning Chase Lunceford belted his first home run of the season into straight away center to break up the no hitter and put the Schooners up 1-0.
After Zach Goldstein drew a walk to follow Lunceford , CJ Moore who had been seeing the ball well in his last few at bats doubled into left field to bring in Goldstein all the way from first. The Schooners were not done in the inning, After Moore stole third base, Ryan Ramiz sent a fly ball to deep right field to score CJ and make the score 3-0 heading into the bottom of the fifth.
The Pilgrims one and only run of the game came in the bottom of the fifth. Chandler Wagoner led the inning off with a single and Michael Derenzi followed that with a double to put runners on second and third. The nine man Damon Haecker lifted one to straight away center field to bring in Wagoner and make the score 3-1 at the end of five.
The Schooners fourth run of the game came in the top of the seventh. Zach Goldstein led off the inning with an absolute shot to left field that got lost in the trees to put the Schooners up 4-1.
Kyle Dube only allowed three hits in his 5.1 innings of work. Ryan Thomas replaced him on the bump and went 1.2 innings, just giving up two hits. And Doug Domnarski sealed the deal, picking up the save over the final two innings, he did not allow a hit.
With the win the Schooners improve to 4-5 on the season and move into fourth place in the Southern Division standings. They will be back in action at home at the Shipyard to take on the first place Ocean State Waves Sunday night. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05.
• Discuss this story on the New England Collegiate Baseball League message board...
New England Collegiate Baseball League Stories from June 18, 2016
- Swamp Bats win 3rd in a row, beat Steeplecats 5-3 - Keene Swamp Bats
- Dube's Strong Start Lifts Schooners 4-1 - Mystic Schooners
- Bay Sox Fall to Westerners in Game Two - New Bedford Bay Sox
- Rally Incomplete as Westerners Top Bay Sox - New Bedford Bay Sox
- Gulls Win on 11th-Inning Walk-Off Grand Slam - Newport Gulls
- Gulls Offense Explodes on SteepleCats - North Adams SteepleCats
- SteepleCats Get It Done with Defense - North Adams SteepleCats
- Offense Stalls in Home Loss for Sanford - Sanford Mainers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.