Odessa Splits Opening Weekend Games
ODESSA, TX - The Odessa Jackalopes opened up the 2010-11 regular season in the Central Hockey League by splitting their two games this past weekend, and now prepare for another pair of road tests this weekend against Bloomington and Dayton.
Last week's record: 1-1-0
Overall record: 1-1-0
Friday at Missouri, 5-3 Loss
Brady Leisenring scored Odessa's first goal of the season, but Ryan Jardine's shorthanded goal five minutes into the third period for Missouri was the difference maker as the Mavericks topped the Jackalopes in the CHL's opening night of games.
Saturday at Quad City, 4-1 Win
Odessa gave up a goal just nine seconds into the game, but responded with four unanswered goals of their own en route to their first win of the season. Sebastien Thinel was responsible for two of those goals, including one shorthanded marker.
-- UPCOMING GAMES --
Friday at Bloomington, 7:05 PM CST
Friday's game against the PrairieThunder will be the first-ever meeting between Odessa and Bloomington, and the first of three meetings this season. Bloomington is led by former New Mexico Scorpion, Craig Macdonald, who tallied 90 points last season for the Thunder.
Saturday at Dayton, 6:05 PM CST
Saturday's contest at Dayton will be another first for the Jackalopes and the only meeting this season between the two clubs. The Gems are 1-1-0 on the season after beating Evansville in their opener, and losing to Rapid City on Sunday.
NOTES FOR THE WEEK
Goaltender, Joel Martin, has been released from the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers and is set to return immediately to the Jackalopes.Saturday's win at Quad City was the first coaching win for Odessa's Matt Cressman, who is serving as the team's head coach during Paul Gillis' three-game suspension by the CHL.Sebastien Thinel is four points away from 600 in his career after his three-point night against the Mallards last Saturday.Odessa's Jean Bourbeau continues to dress for the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers, appearing in all five games they've played this season.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team will begin its 14th season in the Permian Basin in October 2010. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 18, 2010
- Odessa Splits Opening Weekend Games - Odessa Jackalopes
- 'Bugs Look to Rock Oilers Tomorrow at CTC - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mavericks Weekly - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Mudbugs Weekly - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Smith Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Kouba Added to Bucks' Legends Night - Laredo Bucks
- Bossier-Shreveport's Brett Smith Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - CHL
- Thunder Swept by Oilers on Opening Weekend - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks Place Two on IR - Laredo Bucks
- Joel Martin Returns to Jackalopes - Odessa Jackalopes
- Colorado Eagles Week in Review - Colorado Eagles
- RiverKings Weekly - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sundogs Notes - Arizona Sundogs
- Two For The Road - Tulsa Oilers
- Rush End up on Top of High Scoring Affair - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.