Nuts Record Second Shutout with 9-0 Win
VISALIA, CA. - Matt Sanders' grand slam sparked the Modesto Nuts' 9-0 rout of the Visalia Rawhide on Tuesday night at Recreation Park.
Eugene Helder started the scoring when he smashed a solo home run to right against Rawhide (25-13) starter Matt Mercer (L, 1-1).
It was the fourth inning that the Nuts (18-21) were able to open the game up. Jack Larsen singled. Luis Liberato walked and Eugen Helder singled to load the bases. Matt Sanders delivered the big blow with a grand slam over the left field wall to put the Nuts up by five. Sanders would add a RBI single to rack up five RBI in the game.
That was plenty for Nuts starter Logan Gilbert (W, 1-0) who worked around trouble in his five shutout frames. The righty stranded seven opposing baserunners while striking out four and walking two.
Sam Tuivailala worked a scoreless sixth on Major League rehab. The righty struck out one and walked one.
Pen Murfee heaved a perfect seventh. J.T. Salter worked around a walk in the eighth. Joey Gerber finished the game in the ninth.
The Nuts look to take the advantage in game three of the four-game series with the Rawhide on Wednesday night. First pitch in Visalia is at 6:00 p.m. Coverage on ModestoNuts.com will start at 5:50 p.m. Listen live online on your phone, tablet or PC.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Wednesday's San Jose Giants Game Postponed Due to Rain - San Jose Giants
- Giants Edge 66ers to Take First Two Games of Four-Game Set - Inland Empire 66ers
- Storm Surge Early, Beat Ports 9-4 - Stockton Ports
- Rawhide Get Shut out for the Second Time this Season by the Nuts 9-0 - Visalia Rawhide
- Castro Hits Walk-Off Homer Tuesday - Lancaster JetHawks
- JetHawks Walk off on Tuesday; Rancho Lead Down to One - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Nuts Record Second Shutout with 9-0 Win - Modesto Nuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.