Giants Edge 66ers to Take First Two Games of Four-Game Set
n Jose, CA- The Inland Empire 66ers of n Bernardino fell for the second straight game at n Jose despite a late-inning comeback, dropping a 4-3 decision at Excite Ballpark on Tuesday. Inland Empire (18-21) got dominant relief pitching from Brett Hanewich who tossed 2.2 IP of perfect baseball striking out six batters including a stretch of five in a row.
The Giants (16-23) loaded the bases with no outs in the first against IE starter Kyle Bradish (2-2) and the righty almost got out of it on one pitch. David Villar hit a grounder to third baseman Franklin Torres who stepped on his bag, went to second for out number two and then on to first for an apparent inning-ending triple-play. Villar, however, was ruled safe on the close play allowing a run to come home. n Jose added two more in the third and another in the fifth when Bryce Johnson doubled home a run making it 4-0. The two-bagger was Johnson's third hit of the game and knocked in his second run; he also stole a base. Meanwhile Matt Frisbee (2-2) was rolling for the Giants as he allowed three hits and one walk over six innings with eight Ks. The Sixers made it tight when, following singles against reliever Olbis Parra from Kevin Williams Jr. and Gleyvin Pineda, Ryan Scott lifted a fly to left that was dropped for an error allowing one run to score. Franklin Torres followed with a two-run single cutting the lead to 4-3. The 66ers got a runner to third in the eighth and two men on in the ninth but could not push any home as Caleb Simpson picked up his first save of the year for the Giants. The 66ers were 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position in the contest. Kyle Survance Jr. extended his hit streak to six games for Inland Empire.
The series continues Wednesday at 6:30 pm. The contest can be heard live at 66ers.com.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Wednesday's San Jose Giants Game Postponed Due to Rain - San Jose Giants
- Giants Edge 66ers to Take First Two Games of Four-Game Set - Inland Empire 66ers
- Storm Surge Early, Beat Ports 9-4 - Stockton Ports
- Rawhide Get Shut out for the Second Time this Season by the Nuts 9-0 - Visalia Rawhide
- Castro Hits Walk-Off Homer Tuesday - Lancaster JetHawks
- JetHawks Walk off on Tuesday; Rancho Lead Down to One - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Nuts Record Second Shutout with 9-0 Win - Modesto Nuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.