Norris Named 2009 PCL Pitcher of the Year
ROUND ROCK - Though more than a month has past since his Major League debut with the Houston Astros, Bud Norris continues to pop up in the Pacific Coast League. The precocious right-hander, who has carried the league's best ERA for most of the season, was named to the All-PCL Team on Monday and was selected as the PCL Pitcher of the Year on Wednesday.
The PCL Pitcher of the Year is an honor annually chosen by the league's managers and media representatives in recognition of a pitcher's outstanding achievements on the mound.
Norris, 24, carried a 2.51 ERA through his first five starts with Round Rock this season, earning a no decision in each before picking up his first win with 6 2/3 scoreless innings (1 UER) against Oklahoma City on May 9. He allowed three or more earned runs in just four of his 19 starts, limiting hitters to a .237 clip and carving out a PCL-best 2.63 ERA along the way - a mark that continues to lead the league more than a month after his July 29th promotion to Houston.
Despite an elbow strain that sidelined him for nearly two months in 2008, Norris showed fortitude and promise, rebounding in the second-half of his season with Double-A Corpus Christi. Limited to just 75 pitches per game, Norris trimmed a 3.85 ERA over his final 43 innings.
Over a career-high 120 innings with Round Rock, Norris fanned 112 batters, which still ranks in the Top 10 among PCL pitchers heading into the league's final week of play.
Norris is currently 3-3 with a 6.61 ERA in seven appearances with Houston. He has fanned 30 batters over 32 2/3 innings.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2009
- Sky Sox Maintain Stranglehold On Division Lead, Top Beavers, 12-9 - Portland Beavers
- Zephyrs Turn Tables - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Z's blank Redhawks - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Fall To Memphis, 5-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Buster Posey Earns September Call-Up - Fresno Grizzlies
- Norris Named 2009 PCL Pitcher of the Year - Round Rock Express
- Express' Norris Named 2009 PCL Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Aces Jump On Cats Early, Hang On For 8-6 Win - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Whipped 10-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Partners with StellarAlgo
- Round Rock Express INF Abraham Toro, RHP Cristian Javier Named Houston Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- River Cats Top Express 7-5 in Season-Ending Heartbreaker
- Houston Astros SS Carlos Correa Joins Round Rock Express for Major League Rehab Assignment on Friday Night
- River Cats Top Express 4-2 in PCL Championship Game Two