Aces Jump On Cats Early, Hang On For 8-6 Win
RENO, Nev.- Tony Barnette earned his league-leading 13th victory Tuesday night-striking out nine and walking only one-as Reno evened the series with Sacramento, knocking off the division champs 8-6 at Aces Ballpark.
Reno fell behind 1-0 early, but rallied for five second-inning runs to take a commanding lead. In the second, Rogers started the scoring with an RBI-single. After Agustin Murillo and Trent Oeltjen hit sacrifice flies, Brandon Watson plated the fourth run on an RBI-single to left. Eric Byrnes capped the scoring with an RBI-double, and the Aces hung on for the series-evening victory.
Barnette (13-8) started for Reno, tossing six innings of three-run ball. His nine-strikeout performance set a new season-high for the Alaskan-born right-hander. Travis Blackley (3) earned the save by throwing the final two innings.
Sacramento starter James Simmons (7-6) was tagged with the loss after allowing five earned runs over 1.2 innings of work.
Ed Rogers and Murillo had two-RBI nights for the Aces. Cole Gillespie, Abraham Nunez and Gillespie collected two hits apiece.
Game three of the Aces penultimate series of the year will take place Wednesday evening. RHP Daniel Cabrera (0-1, 7.45 ERA) gets the nod for Reno, while the River Cats will counter with RHP Clayton Mortensen (9-8, 4.39). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. PT.
For tickets, stop by the Aces Ballpark Box Office, call (775) 334-7000 or visit www.RenoAces.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2009
- Sky Sox Maintain Stranglehold On Division Lead, Top Beavers, 12-9 - Portland Beavers
- Zephyrs Turn Tables - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Z's blank Redhawks - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Fall To Memphis, 5-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Buster Posey Earns September Call-Up - Fresno Grizzlies
- Norris Named 2009 PCL Pitcher of the Year - Round Rock Express
- Express' Norris Named 2009 PCL Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Aces Jump On Cats Early, Hang On For 8-6 Win - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Whipped 10-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.