Express' Norris Named 2009 PCL Pitcher of the Year
September 2, 2009 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) News Release
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Pacific Coast League today announced Bud Norris of the Round Rock Express as the 2009 PCL Pitcher of the Year, an honor annually chosen by the League's managers and media representatives in recognition of a pitcher's outstanding achievements on the mound.
Norris has a 4-9 record with an impressive 2.63 ERA in nineteen starts for the Express this season. The right-hander had 53 walks and 112 strikeouts and five starts with eight or more strikeouts. A northern California native, Norris was a mid-season PCL-All Star in the Triple-A All-Star game held in Portland and was voted the starter by the PCL managers and media representatives. He tossed two scoreless innings and struck out two in the 6-5 loss to the International League.
Norris made his Major League debut on July 29th with the Houston Astros against the Chicago Cubs. He is 3-3 with a 6.61 ERA and 30 strikeouts in seven appearances for the Astros. The Astros drafted him in the sixth round out of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (CA) in the 2006 MLB draft.
The pitcher of the year award comes two days after Norris was named the top right-handed pitcher on the 2009 All-PCL team.
Other players receiving votes for pitcher of the year were Lenny DiNardo of Omaha, Charlie Haeger of Albuquerque and Kevin Pucetas of Fresno.
For more information on Norris and other 2009 PCL award-winners, please visit the League's official website at www.pclbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2009
- Sky Sox Maintain Stranglehold On Division Lead, Top Beavers, 12-9 - Portland Beavers
- Zephyrs Turn Tables - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Z's blank Redhawks - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Fall To Memphis, 5-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Buster Posey Earns September Call-Up - Fresno Grizzlies
- Norris Named 2009 PCL Pitcher of the Year - Round Rock Express
- Express' Norris Named 2009 PCL Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Aces Jump On Cats Early, Hang On For 8-6 Win - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Whipped 10-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.