Buster Posey Earns September Call-Up
FRESNO, CA - In just his first full season in professional baseball, highly touted Giants prospect and Fresno Grizzlies catcher Buster Posey was promoted to the Major Leagues today and will join the big league club on the road in Philadelphia. Just fourteen months after playing in his final collegiate game in the 2008 College World Series, the 22 year-old Posey is poised to show the baseball world why he was the Giants' first selection (5th pick overall) in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft.
As a member of the Grizzlies, the Georgia native has replicated the success he has found at each stop of his path to the show, hitting .321 with 5 home runs and 22 RBI in 35 games behind the plate for Fresno. After going through a period of adjustment to Triple-A pitching upon joining the Grizzlies in mid-July, Posey has been on fire in August, batting at a .375 clip with 17 RBI and connecting on all five of his round trippers during his first full month at Minor League Baseball's top classification.
After getting his feet wet in 10 professional games in 2008, Posey started the 2009 season tearing up California League pitching with the Single-A Advanced San Jose Giants. He accumulated a .326 average with 13 homers, 23 doubles, and 58 RBI with San Jose to earn his July 14th promotion to Fresno, skipping Double-A all together.
The Florida State product's college career was equally astonishing, as he received the 2008 Golden Spikes Award given annually to the most outstanding collegiate baseball player. With today's announcement, Posey joins former Grizzly Tim Lincecum (2007) and Will Clark (1985) as the third Golden Spikes Award winner to don a San Francisco Giants uniform.
The Fresno Grizzlies are in the midst of a thirteen game road trip and play tonight in Las Vegas. After wrapping up their current series with the 51s on Thursday, the Grizzlies will travel to Reno for the final four games of the 2009 season. The Grizzlies' 2010 home schedule has already been announced and can be found at FresnoGrizzlies.com. Season ticket, mini plan, and group packages for the 2010 season are on sale now by calling 559.320.TIXS or visiting FresnoGrizzlies.com or the Chukchansi Park box office.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 2, 2009
- Sky Sox Maintain Stranglehold On Division Lead, Top Beavers, 12-9 - Portland Beavers
- Zephyrs Turn Tables - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Z's blank Redhawks - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Fall To Memphis, 5-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Buster Posey Earns September Call-Up - Fresno Grizzlies
- Norris Named 2009 PCL Pitcher of the Year - Round Rock Express
- Express' Norris Named 2009 PCL Pitcher of the Year - PCL
- Aces Jump On Cats Early, Hang On For 8-6 Win - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Whipped 10-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno's Wilmer Difo Named PCL Player of the Week
- Fresno Grizzlies End Season on Six-Game Win Streak
- Grizz roar to fifth straight victory thanks to Difo's walk-off double
- Ward and Grizzlies claw past Isotopes 4-2 Saturday
- Sellout Crowd Watches Grizz Beat ABQ 6-5