Normal Signs Jacob Bissell, Cam Adams and Trade Trevor Simms
NORMAL, Ill. - Prior to tonight's series finale, the CornBelters have announced the signing of Jacob Bissell, Cam Adams and the trade of Trevor Simms along with Tanner Lubach requesting for his release.
Bissell originally signed with the team yesterday along with the placement of Sam Vega on the suspended list but wasn't active. On Monday, Bissell was crowned the Home Run Derby Champion for the Empire League. He is the current league leader in home runs (4) and is third with 24 RBI while batting .282 and swiping 12 bags. Last year, the power lefty won the Empire League Most Valuable Player with the Puerto Rico Islanders. He knocked 48 hits with nine home runs and doubles along with collecting 48 RBI in 54 games.
Bissell who goes by JJ spent his first two years of college baseball at Northeastern Junior College before transferring to Oklahoma City University (NAIA). During his Senior year, he smashed .359 AVG and .677 Slugging Percentage. Bissell also launched 16 home runs, 12 doubles, and 70 hits with an OBP of .413. This will be the second go around for the Fort Collins native in the Frontier League as he spent part of 2016 with Evansville Otters. Bissell will join some familiar faces as both Mark Hendricks and Hitting Coach Pascual Santiago spent last season in the Empire League with the Old Orchard Beach Surge.
Simms heads to the Chicago Dogs of the American Association for right-handed pitcher Connor Root. Root is now the third pitcher to come from the Windy City and fourth on the roster with Miles Moeller, Tyler Frohwirth, and Michael Baca. This season he has pitched in 12 games (11 starts) and owns a 2-8 record in 59.2 innings work. Root joins Billy Horn for the second time, as he was his pitching for Quebec in 2016. The former Bentley Falcon spent 2017 with the Somerset Patriots pitching in 16 games (3 starts) totaling for 47.1 innings and 32 strikeouts.
Adams, a catcher, spent this season with the Gateway Grizzlies. In 13 games he batted .243 with three doubles and seven RBI. A recent graduate of North Park University, he spent five years part of the Vikings program. Adams had a break out year during his Junior season batting .279 with 15 RBI and only 11 strikeouts. He was outstanding behind the plate during his time there, committing only six errors in 73 games.
The CornBelters aim to take the rubber match tonight with first pitch at 7:05 p.m. against the Washington Wild Things.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 19, 2018
- ThunderBolts Come-From-Behind for Series Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Lake Erie splits series in Evansville - Lake Erie Crushers
- Slammers Shutout Rascals in Finale - River City Rascals
- Slammers Bats Have Big Night, Sweep Rascals - Joliet Slammers
- Otters Fall in Pitcher's Duel against Crushers - Evansville Otters
- Miners Swept by Boomers in Pitcher's Duel - Southern Illinois Miners
- DeLeon Dazzles Again as Freedom Take Finale - Florence Freedom
- Beach Bums Fall Behind Early in Loss to Florence - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Boomers Sweep Away Miners - Schaumburg Boomers
- Normal Signs Jacob Bissell, Cam Adams and Trade Trevor Simms - Normal CornBelters
- Naughty by Nature Joins Lineup of Snoop Dogg Concert - Normal CornBelters
- Normal Rallies in the 8th to Even Series - Normal CornBelters
- Grizzlies Bullpen Shines in One-Run Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Encina Tosses Gem, Miners Sunk Late by Boomers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Wild Things Drop Middle Game at Normal - Washington Wild Things
- Ninth Inning Explosion Sends Boomers to Second Straight Road Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Gateway Holds off ThunderBolts for 5-4 Loss - Windy City ThunderBolts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.