Noah Zavolas Tosses Complete-Game Shutout in 3-0 Carolina Victory in Potomac
WOODBRIDGE, VA - Noah Zavolas pitched through a complete-game two-hit shutout with a career high 11 strikeouts and Ryan Aguilar went 3-for-3 with a home run, two doubles, two runs and two RBI as the Mudcats defeated the Nationals 3-0 on Sunday afternoon at Northwest Federal Field in Woodbridge, VA.
Zavolas (W, 4-3, 3.21) went the distance as he worked through the ninth while facing just two over the minimum and reaching a career high 101 pitches (78 strikes). The right-hander began his complete-game gem with nine straight outs before allowing a leadoff single in the fourth and a double with one out in the fifth. Zavolas then went on to retire the final 16 batters in consecutive order while finishing out what was the Carolina League's first nine-inning complete-game shutout this season.
Aguilar, meanwhile, provided nearly all of the offense needed in Zavolas' complete-game two-hitter as he accounted for two of Carolina's three runs in the game. He also had the first hit of the game after reaching on a double in the fourth against Potomac (1-3, 31-40) starter Andrew Lee. Eddie Silva followed Aguilar's double in the fourth with a two-out RBI single as Carolina (3-1, 42-31) took a 1-0 lead in the game.
Lee (L, 2-5, 3.28) allowed just two runs (one earned) on three hits and struck out eight in the loss. He was later followed by Jorge Pantoja who allowed Aguilar's solo home run in the eighth. Pantoja allowed just the one run on one hit over two innings and struck out two in the game. Reliever Andrew Istler pitched the ninth and turned in a scoreless frame to finish the game.
Aguilar had three of Carolina's five hits in the game and ended up going 3-for-3. He had the game's first hit in the fourth and walked in the first while becoming the first base runner of the game. His second double of the game came in the fifth and scored Rob Henry to put Carolina up 2-0. Aguilar set a new season high with two doubles the game and hit his fifth home run of the season in Sunday's series clinching victory. His home run came in the Carolina eighth was his first since June 6.
Carolina ended up taking three of four from the Nationals in the series and will next play at home on Monday night with game one of a three game series versus the Down East Wood Ducks. Monday's game is also the first game of a seven game home stand in Zebulon.
The game will air live on the Mudcats Radio Network, The Big Dawg 98.5 FM and online at carolinamudcats.com via TuneIn Radio. The game will also stream live in full high-definition video on MiLB.tv via Minor League Baseball's subscription service.
Individual game tickets, season ticket plans, group ticket packages and the latest mini plans are all available now by visiting the Five County Stadium front office, by calling (919) 269-CATS (2287) and by visiting carolinamudcats.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Woodpeckers Pitching Stifles Pelicans to Sweep Series - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Woodpeckers Hold off Pelicans and Complete Sweep - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Rayados Comeback Falls Short in Extras - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Win Extra-Innings Thriller to Take Series Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Noah Zavolas Tosses Complete-Game Shutout in 3-0 Carolina Victory in Potomac - Carolina Mudcats
- Red Sox Roll Past Wood Ducks In Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Bowlan Bowls over Keys - Frederick Keys
- Zavolas Spins Complete Game, Two-Hit Shutout for Mudcats in 3-0 Win - Potomac Nationals
- June 23 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Rayados: Game Notes (June 23 vs. Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 23 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Civale Makes MLB Debut, Becomes 176th Hillcat to Make Majors - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Carolina Mudcats Stories
- Mudcats and Minor League Baseball's #MiLBAtHomeOpener Begins Tomorrow
- Annual Job Fair Rescheduled for Thursday, February 27 at Five County Stadium
- Annual Job Fair Set for Thursday, February 20 at Five County Stadium
- Mudcats Individual Game Tickets Now on Sale
- Manager Joe Ayrault Returns as Brewers Announce 2020 Mudcats Staff