Bowlan Bowls over Keys
WILMINGTON, DE. - For the second time in three days, the Frederick Keys (30-43, 1-3) were shutout 5-0 by the Wilmington Blue Rocks (47-26, 3-1) on Sunday afternoon at Frawley Stadium. Despite having baserunners in every inning, the Keys were 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position. The Keys also walked a season-high eight batters. It is the fourth time Wilmington has shutout Frederick, who on the season have been shutout 10 times.
The Blue Rocks had runners in scoring position through the first two innings, but they finally broke through in the third. David Lebron walked the first two batters he faced and Brewer Hicklen tallied an RBI single to give Wilmington a 1-0 lead with runners at the corners. Dennicher Carrasco then lofted a sacrifice fly to score another run before MJ Melendez belted a two-run blast to put the Blue Rocks ahead 4-0.
Lebron (2-2) was dealt the loss after lasting just 2.1 innings, his shortest outing of the season.
Jonathan Bowlan (1-0) was outstanding in his Carolina League debut. The right-hander struck out nine batters, tying a season-high, over six scoreless innings.
Hicklen created one more run for the Blue Rocks after he walked, stole second and third, and scored on a wild pitch in the fourth inning.
Matthias Dietz came in relief of Lebron and walked a season-high six batters but limited the damage, allow one run on two hits in 3.1 innings.
Scott Burke was excellent in relief at the tail end of the game, striking out five batters in 2.1 innings.
Yeltsin Gudino pushed his hitting streak to 10-games after going 2-for-4 with a double.
The Keys head to Lynchburg, Virginia to take on the Hillcats for a three-game series starting on Monday, June 24. RHP Blaine Knight (0-3, 4.65) will start for Frederick. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30pm. Fans can listen to the game at frederickkeys.com or on the TuneIn app with pregame coverage starting at 5:15pm.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Woodpeckers Pitching Stifles Pelicans to Sweep Series - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Woodpeckers Hold off Pelicans and Complete Sweep - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Rayados Comeback Falls Short in Extras - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Win Extra-Innings Thriller to Take Series Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Noah Zavolas Tosses Complete-Game Shutout in 3-0 Carolina Victory in Potomac - Carolina Mudcats
- Red Sox Roll Past Wood Ducks In Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Bowlan Bowls over Keys - Frederick Keys
- Zavolas Spins Complete Game, Two-Hit Shutout for Mudcats in 3-0 Win - Potomac Nationals
- June 23 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Rayados: Game Notes (June 23 vs. Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 23 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Civale Makes MLB Debut, Becomes 176th Hillcat to Make Majors - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.