Ninth Inning Comeback Falls Short
SAN BERNADINO, CA - Down to their final out, Stephen Smith extended the game for the Rawhide when he hit a scorching double into left-center field to score Luis Silverio from first. It brought the score to a 6-5 Inland Empire lead, the closest the game had been since the first inning.
But Steven Souza Jr., on rehab assignment from the Arizona Diamondbacks, struck out swinging to end the ballgame, leaving the tying run in scoring position.
Visalia (40-36/3-3) trailed by as many as five runs. Inland Empire scored four runs, three earned, against Connor Grey in the first inning added two more in the fifth to take a 6-1 lead.
Ramon Hernandez clubbed a three-run homer in the sixth to bring the Rawhide back within striking distance.
Souza had two hits in his first rehab appearance, driving home Smith in the first inning with a base hit and doubling into left in the third. Smith also put up a multi-hit game for the Rawhide.
Grey (L, 5-5) failed to get through the fifth for the third straight start, surrendering six runs, five earned, on nine hits while striking out three over 4.2 innings.
Simon Mathews (W, 1-2) delivered five solid innings for Inland Empire (37-39/4-2), holding the Rawhide to just one run on three hits while tying his career-high with eight strikeouts.
Eduardo Rivera (SV, 2) inherited a runner with two outs in the eighth and allowed the tying run into scoring position in the ninth, but held on by a thread to complete the save.
Robby Sexton and Miguel Aguilar each tossed scoreless innings and Tyler Mark picked up 1.1 innings of shutout relief.
The Rawhide will continue the four-game trip to Inland Empire tomorrow morning. RHP Tyler Keele (0-1, 5.25) will be on the hill for the Rawhide against LHP Nate Bertness (1-5, 5.43). First pitch is at 11 AM.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from June 27, 2018
- Rancho Blanks Lake Elsinore Again on Wednesday Afternoon - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Ports Shutout Giants to Even Series - San Jose Giants
- Milburn Goes the Distance in 5-0 Ports Win - Stockton Ports
- Early Damage Sends Nuts to Seventh Straight Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Ninth Inning Comeback Falls Short - Visalia Rawhide
- JetHawks Stay Hot, Win Another over Nuts - Lancaster JetHawks
- Anderson Shuts Down Storm on Tuesday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Visalia Rawhide Stories
- Rawhide Announce New Toros Uniforms and Ballpark Events Celebrating Hispanic Culture
- Northern Division of California League Give Proceeds of Fire Relief Hats to Ridgeview HS
- Rawhide Bring Los Tigres Del Norte to Visalia
- Rawhide Announce New Rustlers Program
- Rawhide Announces First Ever Design-A-Jersey Contest for Kids