Early Damage Sends Nuts to Seventh Straight Loss
Modesto, CA. - Despite a late offensive burst, the Modesto Nuts were unable to overcome the Lancaster JetHawks in a 4-2 defeat at John Thurman Field on Tuesday night.
After recording just two hits in the first six innings, the Nuts (30-46; 0-6) finally broke through with a two-out RBI single in the seventh by Nick Thurman. In the eighth, the Nuts put two runners aboard with no outs but a double play hampered their momentum before a second run scored on a balk.
Overall, JetHawks (37-39; 4-2) starter Ty Culbreth (W, 4-3) worked seven very strong innings. He faced the minimum in the first three innings while striking out six without walking a batter.
The JetHawks jumped on Nuts starter Ljay Newsome (L, 4-5) early. Carlos Herrera and Tyler Nevin each doubled home first-inning runs. Herrera recorded his second RBI in the second with a two-out RBI single.
Newsome survived five innings allowing eleven hits leading to four runs with four strikeouts and no walks.
Danny Garcia was terrific out of the Nuts bullpen worked three shutout innings while striking out four and walking none.
Game three of this four-game series with the JetHawks is set for Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. Coverage on ModestoNuts.com will start at 6:50 p.m. Listen live online on your phone, tablet or PC.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from June 27, 2018
- Rancho Blanks Lake Elsinore Again on Wednesday Afternoon - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Ports Shutout Giants to Even Series - San Jose Giants
- Milburn Goes the Distance in 5-0 Ports Win - Stockton Ports
- Early Damage Sends Nuts to Seventh Straight Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Ninth Inning Comeback Falls Short - Visalia Rawhide
- JetHawks Stay Hot, Win Another over Nuts - Lancaster JetHawks
- Anderson Shuts Down Storm on Tuesday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.