Rancho Blanks Lake Elsinore Again on Wednesday Afternoon
Lake Elsinore, CA - The Quakes remained deadlocked in a scoreless tie on Wednesday afternoon until a five-run finale rolled Rancho to their second consecutive shut-out victory over the Storm at 5-0.
Despite a career-long seven shut-out innings from starter Dustin May, the offense was unable to back the pitching staff until Zach Pop entered on the late innings.
Storm reliever Dauris Valdez stepped to the mound in the top of the ninth and walked Cristian Santana and Jeren Kendall to begin the inning. Logan Landon then singled to load the bases for Jared Walker, who smashed a two-run double to give Rancho the outright lead. Hamlet Marte added an RBI-single and Cody Thomas drove home a pair to cap the scoring at 5-0.
May helped keep Rancho in the game until the late innings, hurling seven shut-out frames, walking one and striking out seven. May was able to escape a bases-loaded jam in the seventh as the Quakes turned their last of three double-plays to exit the inning.
Pop (1-0) closed out the game with two scoreless frames and became the pitcher of record in the eighth en route to his first winning decision on the season.
Lake Elsinore starting pitcher Michel Baez allowed just two hits over five innings and settled with a no-decision as Valdez (1-4) was tacked with the loss.
Dating back to the third inning on Monday, the Quakes pitching staff has labored for 23.2 scoreless innings, the second longest shut-out mark this season.
With the win, Rancho improves to three games above the .500 mark for the first time all season (40-37) and will look to secure a series victory in game four on Thursday. RHP Parker Curry (4-1, 4.04 ERA) will take the ball for Rancho and be opposed by fellow right-hander Ronald Bolanos (3-4, 5.70 ERA) of Lake Elsinore. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 P.M.
The Quakes return home on Friday, June 29th for the start of a five game series hosting the Inland Empire 66ers. The first 1,500 fans in attendance will receive a Kike Hernandez bobblehead thanks to Daily I.T. Tickets are available online at rcquakes.com or by calling (909) 481-5000.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from June 27, 2018
- Rancho Blanks Lake Elsinore Again on Wednesday Afternoon - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Ports Shutout Giants to Even Series - San Jose Giants
- Milburn Goes the Distance in 5-0 Ports Win - Stockton Ports
- Early Damage Sends Nuts to Seventh Straight Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Ninth Inning Comeback Falls Short - Visalia Rawhide
- JetHawks Stay Hot, Win Another over Nuts - Lancaster JetHawks
- Anderson Shuts Down Storm on Tuesday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rancho Cucamonga Quakes Stories
- Quakes Named 2018 Cal League Organization of the Year
- Quakes Are Cal League Champions
- Quakes One Win Away After Hammering Visalia
- Quakes Win Game 1 in Visalia
- Quakes Advance to Championship Series