New York Red Bulls Sign Stanford Forward Zach Ryan to a Homegrown Contract
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have signed Stanford forward and Chatham native Zach Ryan to an MLS Homegrown deal, the club announced today. Ryan is on a one-year deal with option years in 2023, 2024 and 2025.
"We are pleased to add Zach to our group of Homegrowns", said Head of Sport Kevin Thelwell. "He has seized his opportunities at both the academy and collegiate level. We hope to see him continue to raise his level with us."
Ryan, 22, was a four-year letterman at Stanford University, where he made 73 appearances, including 67 starts. The Chatham, New Jersey native tallied 31 goals and 13 assists over his collegiate career and helped the Cardinals become PAC-12 Champions in 2018 and 2020. The forward captained Stanford Men's Soccer during his senior year and was named to the All-PAC 12 First Team, Second Team All-Region, and CoSIDA Academic-All American First Team. He was named All-PAC 12 Player of the Year and earned All-PAC 12 First Team, United Soccer Coaches All-Far West Region First Team, and All-America First Team honors in 2020. During his freshmen and sophomore years, he earned All-PAC 12 Second Team (2018) and All-PAC 12 Honorable Mention (2019).
"Zach has been playing at a top level at Stanford," said Head Coach Gerhard Struber. "His ability to score at the academy and collegiate level has been impressive. We hope to see him build upon those successes in preseason and gain good experience with us and Red Bulls II."
Before Stanford, Ryan played for Red Bulls Academy from 2013 to 2017. During his final two years with the Academy, he scored 20 goals in 38 appearances. He helped Red Bulls Academy teams win three Northeast Division championships in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
TRANSACTION: The New York Red Bulls have signed Zach Ryan to an MLS Homegrown deal on January 20, 2022.
Birthdate: January 14, 1999
Place of Birth: Chatham, New Jersey
Hometown: Chatham, New Jersey
Citizenship: United States
Last Club: Stanford University
How Acquired: Signed on January 20, 2022
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 20, 2022
- LAFC Acquires Goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau from Vancouver - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Defender Alex Roldan - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire $1 Million in GAM Plus Additional Incentives from LAFC in Exchange for Goalkeeper Maxime Crépeau - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Preseason Report: Gary Smith Happy with Fitness Levels at Start of 2022 Camp - Nashville SC
- Eugenio Villazón to Join Atlanta United Coaching Staff as Assistant Coach - Atlanta United FC
- Campana, Rodríguez, and Shea Comment After Joining for 2022 Season - Inter Miami CF
- Cole Bassett Shares Heartfelt Messages to Rapids' Fans, Coaches, Community Ahead of Feyenoord Loan - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Loan Cole Bassett to Dutch Side Feyenoord Rotterdam - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule - Atlanta United FC
- Join the First Team for Open Training at DRV PNK Stadium on February 5th - Inter Miami CF
- Portland Timbers Transfer Club Legend Diego Valeri to Club Atlético Lanús - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Forward Will Bruin - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign Venezuelan Midfielder Jesús Castellano - New York Red Bulls
- Jaylin Lindsey: 'To be Here Is a Dream Come True' - Charlotte FC
- Real Salt Lake Kicks off 2022 Preseason - Real Salt Lake
- Jairo Quinteros Called up by Bolivia for FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Inter Miami CF
- Damion Lowe Called up by Jamaica for FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Acquires Goalkeeper Maarten Paes on Loan from FC Utrecht - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Sign Stanford Forward Zach Ryan to a Homegrown Contract - New York Red Bulls
- CF Montréal Reserve Team to Join the PLSQ - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Signs Ecuadorian International Forward Leonardo Campana on Loan - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC Sign Ayo Akinola to a New Deal - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Host Chicago Fire FC in Midweek Wednesday Night Match at Red Bull Arena
- Red Bulls Battle Back to Draw at Philadelphia
- New York Red Bulls to Host Charlotte FC at MSU Soccer Park in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16
- Red Bulls Head to Subaru Park for a Saturday Night Matchup with Philadelphia Union
- Red Bulls and Essentia Announce Partnership