New York Red Bulls, Newark Board of Education and Southern New Hampshire University Launch "Goal for Perfect Attendance" Program
Harrison, NJ - The New York Red Bulls, Newark Board of Education and Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU) launched the "Goal For Perfect Attendance" program at East Side High School in Newark, NJ. To help kick-off the program, Superintendent of Newark Public Schools' Roger Leon, Assistant Superintendent Dr. Mario Santos, Newark Public Schools' Margarita Muniz, Assistant Vice President of Social Impact and Community Relations at SNHU, Steve Thiel, Red Bulls General Manager Marc de Grandpre and soccer players from Newark high schools were all in attendance to take part in the ceremony.
"Southern New Hampshire University is thrilled to partner with the Newark Public School District high schools as well as the New York Red Bulls to improve attendance this school year", said Thiel. "Being present and engaged gives students a great chance to be successful academically and socially, and our hope is that this activity will set a good foundation for the students to build upon."
The collaborative effort between the Red Bulls, Newark Public Schools and SNHU will strive to improve student attendance by establishing an incentive-based program across all District high schools in Newark, NJ. Each high school will compete for highest attendance averages between the beginning of the school year through April 30, 2020, for three grand prizes to be awarded in May. The club's Official Education Partner, SNHU, will provide funding for three grand prizes for student-led school improvement projects. In addition, both SNHU and the club will provide tickets to matches at Red Bull Arena as well as school assemblies with players and members of the club's freestyle team.
"We are excited about our partnership with the Red Bulls and SNHU in empowering our students in every aspect, including what's most important - showing up every day to be their very best selves," said Dr. Santos. "We know that students who are consistently in school perform the best academically - and the 'Goal For Perfect Attendance' incentive program will motivate and push our students to continue to strive for excellence."
The Red Bulls and SNHU will come together with the district to run quarterly college and career workshops for high school juniors and seniors. Each school will select an 11th and 12th grade student to participate in the quarterly workshops with partners including Wells Fargo, Brisas, Southern New Hampshire University, and US Soccer. These workshops will provide students with engaging learning opportunities with industry experts on topics such as small business, the college admissions process, financial literacy and community service. Students will be selected by their high school administration and teachers on a variety of qualities, including character, academic merit and attendance. All 15 Newark Board of Education high schools and their students are eligible to participate.
"Along with the Newark Board of Ed and SNHU, we are very proud to launch this incredible program to drive attendance across high schools in Newark," said de Grandpre. "Student engagement in the classroom is integral for the success of receiving the best possible education. With that said, engagement is not possible without attendance."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 18, 2019
- MLS Reinstates LAFC Forward Adama Diomande - MLS
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Dallas (Western Conference First Round) - October 19, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- #SEAvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls, Newark Board of Education and Southern New Hampshire University Launch "Goal for Perfect Attendance" Program - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Announce 2019 Team Awards - LA Galaxy
- Game Preview: Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One - New England Revolution at Atlanta United FC - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Announces 2019 Team Award Winners - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2019 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs Saturday against Portland Timbers - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC to Host Playoff Rally on Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Six Players from the Impact Academy at the U17 World Cup in Brazil - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Announce 2019 Team Awards
- New York Red Bulls Homegrown Connor Lade Announces Retirement
- Red Bulls Fall Short to Philadelphia, 4-3 in Overtime
- New York Red Bulls, Newark Board of Education and Southern New Hampshire University Launch "Goal for Perfect Attendance" Program
- Match Preview: New York Heads to Philadelphia for Round One of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs