New York Liberty Select Five Players in 2013 WNBA Draft
NEW YORK, NY - April 15, 2013 - The New York Liberty selected forwards Kelsey Bone (5th overall) and Toni Young (7th overall) in the first round of the 2013 WNBA Draft tonight. In addition, the team grabbed guards Kamiko Williams (15th overall), Shenneika Smith (25th overall) and Olcay Cakir (27th overall).
"We are very excited about this draft class," said Laimbeer. "We were able to select every player we targeted and I think they are all excited to play for the New York Liberty. Kelsey brings physical size and a toughness factor. Toni has tremendous athleticism and will fit right in with our up-tempo style of play. Kamiko is a very patient player, she sees the floor well and understands how to play basketball."
Bone, a 6-4 center from Texas A&M, averaged 14.2 points and 8.1 rebounds per game in two seasons with the Aggies. A native of Houston, TX, she began her career at South Carolina, playing one season before transferring. As a rookie, she led the conference in rebounding with 9.2 boards per game and was eighth in scoring with 14.0 points per contest. Bone guided Texas A&M to the SEC conference title, earned All-America honors and was one of 15 finalists for the Wooden Award.
Young, a 6-2 forward from Oklahoma State University, averaged 12.5 points, 8.1 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in 132 games. A native of Del City, Oklahoma, Young earned WBCA All-Region honors in 2013. She twice led the Big 12 Conference in rebounding average and was second in double-doubles. Young closed her OSU career as the second player in school history to record 1,000 career points, 700 rebounds, and 100 blocks.
Williams, a 5-11 guard from the University of Tennessee, averaged 5.5 points and 2.9 rebounds in 128 games. A native of Fayeteville, North Carolina, Williams scored a career-best 7.4 points and grabbed 4.2 rebounds as a senior, guiding UT to an Elite Eight run in the NCAA Tournament.
Smith, a 6-1 forward from St. John's University, averaged 13.5 points and 6.1 rebounds in 128 games. A native of Queens, New York, Smith led the Red Storm in scoring in each of her final three seasons. She finished her career ranked third, fourth and fifth in school history in blocks, scoring and rebounding, respectively. Smith was a three-time All-BIG EAST honoree, including a pair of first team selections.
Cakir, a 6-0 guard from Fenerbahce Spor Kulubu, has averages of 7.5 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 2.1 rebounds over the course of her professional career. A native of Izmir, Turkey, Cakir won two Turkish Championships (2011, 2012) as well as the 2013 President's Cup.
The Liberty 2013 regular season home opener is on May 31 against the Tulsa Shock at Prudential Center. Liberty season ticket packages and individual tickets are available at NYLiberty.com.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from April 15, 2013
- Bentley, Rodgers Headline Second Round Picks in 2013 WNBA Draft - WNBA
- New York Liberty Select Five Players in 2013 WNBA Draft - New York Liberty
- Phoenix Mercury Renames 1st Street, "Griner Street" - Phoenix Mercury
- Sparks Select Brittany Chambers with 22nd Pick in WNBA Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- Lynx Wrap up WNBA Draft - Minnesota Lynx
- It's Official: Mercury Take Griner - Phoenix Mercury
- Seattle Storm Select Tianna Hawkins - Seattle Storm
- Washington Mystics Select McKenith & Meesseman - Washington Mystics
- Connecticut Selects Faris with 11th Pick in WNBA Draft - Connecticut Sun
- Sparks Select A'dia Mathies with 10th Pick in WNBA Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- Cal Guard Clarendon Highlights Indiana Draft Selections - Indiana Fever
- Atlanta Dream Selects Alex Bentley and Anne Marie Armstrong in WNBA Draft - Atlanta Dream
- Lynx Select Lindsey Moore and Ta'Shauna Rodgers with First Two Picks in 2013 WNBA Draft - Minnesota Lynx
- Griner, Delle Donne, Diggins, Top Three Picks in 2013 WNBA Draft - WNBA
- Layshia Clarendon of California Selected by Indiana Fever - Indiana Fever
- Washington Mystics Select Tayler Hill - Washington Mystics
- Shock Select Skylar Diggins with Third Pick in the WNBA Draft - Tulsa Shock
- Atlanta Dream Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale - Atlanta Dream
- Washington Mystics Acquire Quanitra Hollinsworth - Washington Mystics
- New York Liberty Acquire Draft Pick from Washington - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Liberty Stories
- New York Liberty to Play in Preseason Tournament at Mohegan Sun Arena
- New York Liberty Head Coach Katie Smith Named to Women's Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2018
- New York Liberty Re-Signs Free Agent Native New Yorker's Kia Vaughn and Bria Hartley
- New York Liberty Announces 2018 Schedule
- New York Liberty Head Coach Katie Smith Conference