Layshia Clarendon of California Selected by Indiana Fever
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana Fever has selected California guard Layshia Clarendon with the ninth pick of the 2013 WNBA Draft presented by State Farm. An honorable mention All-American by the Associated Press and WBCA, Clarendon led the Golden Bears with 16.4 points per game while helping Cal to its first NCAA Final Four appearance where it lost to Louisville in the national semifinals.
A native of San Bernardino, Calif., the 5-9 Clarendon was a first team All-Pac-12 selection and the league's scholar-athlete of the year while leading Cal to a 32-4 record.
She was finalist for the State Farm Wade Trophy and a first team Senior CLASS Award All-American while pacing the Golden Bears to their first 30-win season. She became just the fourth Golden Bear to hit the 1,600-point mark in a career and finished her four seasons in Berkeley with 1,820 points.
For continued Fever draft coverage, visit FeverBasketball.com.
A WNBA playoff participant in eight straight seasons and nine times since 2002, the Indiana Fever became the champion of women's professional basketball after defeating the Minnesota Lynx for the 2012 WNBA Championship. The Fever is the only team in WNBA history to record seven 20-win seasons during an 8-year span, a current streak that dates to 2005. During that time, the Fever has reached at least the Eastern Conference Finals five times while appearing in the WNBA Finals in 2009 and 2012. Indiana hosts its 2013 home opener on Friday, May 31 (7:00 p.m.) against the Atlanta Dream. For 2013 season ticket information, visit FeverBasketball.com or call (317) 917-2528.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from April 15, 2013
- Bentley, Rodgers Headline Second Round Picks in 2013 WNBA Draft - WNBA
- New York Liberty Select Five Players in 2013 WNBA Draft - New York Liberty
- Phoenix Mercury Renames 1st Street, "Griner Street" - Phoenix Mercury
- Sparks Select Brittany Chambers with 22nd Pick in WNBA Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- Lynx Wrap up WNBA Draft - Minnesota Lynx
- It's Official: Mercury Take Griner - Phoenix Mercury
- Seattle Storm Select Tianna Hawkins - Seattle Storm
- Washington Mystics Select McKenith & Meesseman - Washington Mystics
- Connecticut Selects Faris with 11th Pick in WNBA Draft - Connecticut Sun
- Sparks Select A'dia Mathies with 10th Pick in WNBA Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- Cal Guard Clarendon Highlights Indiana Draft Selections - Indiana Fever
- Atlanta Dream Selects Alex Bentley and Anne Marie Armstrong in WNBA Draft - Atlanta Dream
- Lynx Select Lindsey Moore and Ta'Shauna Rodgers with First Two Picks in 2013 WNBA Draft - Minnesota Lynx
- Griner, Delle Donne, Diggins, Top Three Picks in 2013 WNBA Draft - WNBA
- Layshia Clarendon of California Selected by Indiana Fever - Indiana Fever
- Washington Mystics Select Tayler Hill - Washington Mystics
- Shock Select Skylar Diggins with Third Pick in the WNBA Draft - Tulsa Shock
- Atlanta Dream Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale - Atlanta Dream
- Washington Mystics Acquire Quanitra Hollinsworth - Washington Mystics
- New York Liberty Acquire Draft Pick from Washington - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.