New England Revolution Sign Defender Santiago Suarez to MLS Contract
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution have signed central defender Santiago Suarez to a multi-year contract. Suarez, 17, will begin his New England career with Revolution II competing in MLS NEXT Pro in 2023. Suarez will officially be added to New England's MLS roster as a Homegrown Player ahead of the 2024 MLS season.
Media Availability:Santiago Suarez will be introduced to the media in a virtual press conference on Wednesday, Nov. 30 at 1:00 p.m. ET. Click here to participate.
Suarez, who also goes by his nickname "Tiago", joins the New England Revolution from the Sacramento Republic FC Academy, where he has been developing since 2016. The 6-foot-5 center back made six appearances, with four starts, for Sacramento during the 2022 USL Championship campaign, logging 335 minutes of action.
"We are excited to welcome Santiago to the New England Revolution as he begins his professional career," Revolution Technical Director Curt Onalfo stated. "He's an incredible young talent and we look forward to helping him improve each and every day in our progressive pro player pathway system"
Suarez began the 2021-22 Academy season with Sacramento Republic's U-17 squad, later joining the U-19 team midway through the season. At the higher age level, the defender helped Sacramento to an unbeaten spring slate, including a winning effort in group play at the MLS NEXT Flex tournament, first place in the MLS NEXT Northwest Division, and a second straight appearance in the MLS NEXT Cup playoffs.
A United States youth international with Uruguayan heritage, Suarez recently earned his first call-up to the U.S. Under-19 Men's National Team for a training camp in Carson, Calif. in July 2022. That 23-player roster also included three Revolution Academy products, as Esmir Bajraktarevic, Noel Buck, and Jack Panayotou all played alongside Suarez at the camp under Head Coach Marko Mitrović.
TRANSACTION: New England Revolution sign 17-year-old central defender Santiago Suarez to a multi-year contract on November 28, 2022. Suarez will be added to New England's MLS roster as a Homegrown Player ahead of the 2024 MLS season.
MLS Season Pass: Apple and Major League Soccer have announced that MLS Season Pass will launch on February 1, 2023 - introducing an unprecedented subscription service to fans that features every live MLS and Leagues Cup match, as well as hundreds of MLS NEXT Pro and MLS NEXT games. MLS Season Pass will be available on billions of devices through the Apple TV app, smart TVs, streaming devices, set-top boxes, game consoles, and on the web at tv.apple.com.
Starting February 1, fans can subscribe to MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app for $14.99 per month during the season or $99 per season, and Apple TV+ subscribers can sign up at a special price of $12.99 per month and $79 per season. As an exclusive benefit of their full-season membership, New England Revolution Season Members will receive one MLS Season Pass subscription with each account. Visit Revolutionsoccer.net or call 1-877-GET-REVS to learn more about becoming a Season Member.
SUAREZ AT A GLANCE:
17-year-old central defender joins New England ahead of the 2023 season after developing in the Sacramento Republic FC youth academy.
6-foot-5 center back will officially join New England's MLS roster as a Homegrown Player in 2024.
California native is expected to feature for Revolution II in MLS Next Pro in 2023.
Received first international call-up to U.S. Under-19 Men's National Team training camp in July 2022.
United States youth international also has Uruguayan heritage.
Date of Birth: 04/23/2005 (Rocklin, Calif.)
Hometown: Rocklin, Calif.
Weight: 178 lbs.
Nationality: United States & Uruguay
How Acquired: Signed by New England Revolution to a multi-year contract on November 28, 2022 and will join MLS roster as a Homegrown Player in 2024.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 28, 2022
- Sounders FC Hosts FIFA World Cup Watch Party - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC and RAVE Foundation Celebrate Giving Tuesday on November 29 by Giving Back to Communities in Washington - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Homegrown Midfielder Jonathan Pérez to Contract Extension - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Signs Pablo 'Pabs' Georgakopoulos as eMLS Athlete for 2023 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Colorado Rapids Recall Cole Bassett from Fortuna Sittard Loan - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Signs Academy Product Benjamin Cremaschi as Homegrown Player - Inter Miami CF
- New England Revolution Sign Defender Santiago Suarez to MLS Contract - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Hosts First Soccer Unites End of Season Celebration - FC Cincinnati
- Head Coaching Change for the Under-23 Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- St. Louis CITY SC Signs MLS Right Back Jake Nerwinski - St. Louis City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Revolution Look to Advance in Concacaf Champions Cup against CA Independiente in First Home Match of 2024
- 10-Man Revolution Fall at D.C. United in MLS Season Opener
- Revolution Open 2024 Major League Soccer Season at D.C. United on Saturday Night
- The Arbella Insurance Group Announces Sponsorship with the New England Revolution for the 2024 and 2025 MLS Seasons
- Revolution Earn 1-0 Victory vs. CA Independiente in First Match of Concacaf Champions Cup