Colorado Rapids Recall Cole Bassett from Fortuna Sittard Loan
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids announced today the club has recalled midfielder Cole Bassett from his loan with Dutch side Fortuna Sittard effective immediately. Bassett will join the Rapids for their preseason preparations ahead of the 2023 MLS season.
"We're thrilled to welcome Cole back home to Colorado," said Pádraig Smith, Colorado Rapids Executive VP & General Manager. "We all know the caliber of player he is, and given his obvious familiarity with our club and the league, we believe he can be a key contributor as we make a push to return to the playoffs in 2023."
"I couldn't be more excited to return home and to a club I've loved my entire life," said Bassett. "I know we can achieve great things together next season and can't wait to play in front of our fans once again at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park."
Bassett, 21, was loaned to Fortuna Sittard in August after the Rapids recalled him from a loan with fellow Eredivisie side Feyenoord Rotterdam. In all, Bassett registered 19 appearances, one goal and one assist across both clubs since his initial move to the Netherlands in January. As part of Feyenoord's original agreement with the Rapids, the Dutch club will retain the option to purchase Bassett if exercised by March.
A native of Littleton, Colo., Bassett is a product of local youth side Colorado Rush and joined the Rapids Academy in 2017 before signing a Homegrown Player contract with the club in August 2018 at age 17, then the youngest signing in Rapids history. At the time, he set additional records as the youngest player in club history to make his professional debut and score a goal. During his time with the Rapids, Bassett made 72 appearances for the club, recording 13 goals and 11 assists since making his professional debut on Sept. 8, 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 28, 2022
- Sounders FC Hosts FIFA World Cup Watch Party - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC and RAVE Foundation Celebrate Giving Tuesday on November 29 by Giving Back to Communities in Washington - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Homegrown Midfielder Jonathan Pérez to Contract Extension - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Signs Pablo 'Pabs' Georgakopoulos as eMLS Athlete for 2023 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Colorado Rapids Recall Cole Bassett from Fortuna Sittard Loan - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Signs Academy Product Benjamin Cremaschi as Homegrown Player - Inter Miami CF
- New England Revolution Sign Defender Santiago Suarez to MLS Contract - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Hosts First Soccer Unites End of Season Celebration - FC Cincinnati
- Head Coaching Change for the Under-23 Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- St. Louis CITY SC Signs MLS Right Back Jake Nerwinski - St. Louis City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Balboa, Angeli, Moor Headline Rapids On-Air Personalities in 2023
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Australian International Defender Alex Gersbach
- Yapi Scores in Rapids' Preseason Finale against Querétaro in MexicoÃÂ
- Rapids to Close out Preseason Stint in Mexico with Querétaro Matchup
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Danish International Defender Andreas Maxsø