New England Revolution Fall to Colorado Rapids, 2-1
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The New England Revolution (13-6-9; 48 pts. - 3rd in East) fell to the Colorado Rapids (4-13-10; 19 pts. - 14th in West), 2-1, on Saturday night at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park. Carles Gil led New England's attack with seven chances created, five shots, and his 13th assist of the season. Gil supplied the helper on Omar Gonzalez's first goal in a Revolution uniform. Goalkeeper Earl Edwards Jr. made four saves.
After playing through a scoreless first half, Colorado's Cole Bassett found the scoresheet first in the 48th minute. The Rapids doubled their lead in the 62nd minute with a tally from Calvin Harris. New England broke through in the 92nd minute as Gil's corner kick found the head of Gonzalez, who tallied his first goal of the season. However, New England's late rally fell short as the final whistle sounded moments later.
Tonight's match featured appearances off the bench from three of New England's Homegrown Players in midfielders Esmir Bajraktarevic, Noel Buck, and Damian Rivera. In the backline, central defender Dave Romney continues to play every minute of the season for the Revolution, one of only two MLS outfield players to have that claim. Gonzalez also played all 90 minutes tonight in his fifth consecutive league start.
New England concludes its three-game road swing next Saturday night against Chicago Fire FC (8-11-8; 32 pts. - 10th in East). Saturday's 8:30 p.m. ET kickoff at Soldier Field is available to watch free on Apple TV in English and Spanish. Listen to the Revolution's local radio calls on 98.5 The Hub (WBZ-FM) or 1260 AM Nossa Radio in Portuguese.
* Tonight's match was New England's first under Interim Head Coach Clint Peay, who celebrated his 50th birthday today. * The Revolution played their sixth and final regular season match against a Western Conference opponent tonight, finishing the year with a 2-2-2 against teams from the West. * Omar Gonzalez netted his first goal in a Revolution uniform, his 17th career goal in MLS regular season play. It was the veteran defender's first tally since Aug. 1, 2021 with Toronto FC. * Gonzalez has started five consecutive games in central defense. * Carles Gil guided New England's attack with game-highs in chances created (7) and shots (5), in addition to his 13th assist of the season - tied for second most in MLS and two behind the league lead. * Earl Edwards Jr. recorded his fifth straight start for the Revolution, logging four saves. * Tonight's match featured appearances off the bench from three Homegrown Players in midfielders Esmir Bajraktarevic, Noel Buck, and Damian Rivera. Buck made his first appearance since returning to the team from international duty with the England U-19 National Team.
GAME CAPSULE New England Revolution 1, Colorado Rapids 2 September 16, 2023 - Dick's Sporting Goods Park (Commerce City, Colo.)
Referee: Rosendo Mendoza Assistant Referees: Eric Weisbrod (AR1), Brooke Mayo (AR2) Fourth Official: Lukasz Szpala Video Assistant Referee: Drew Fischer Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Fabio Tovar Weather: 65 degrees and cloudy Attendance: 16,411
Scoring Summary: COL - Cole Bassett 3 (Conor Ronan 8) 48' COL - Calvin Harris 1 (Rafael Navarro 1) 62' NE - Omar González 1 (Carles Gil 13) 90+2'
Misconduct Summary: NE - Omar González (Yellow Card - Tactical Foul) 7' COL - Rafael Navarro (Yellow Card- Hard Foul) 40' COL - Kevin Cabral (Yellow Card - Hard Foul) 45' NE - Carles Gil (Yellow Card - Hard Foul) 49' COL - Diego Rubio (Yellow Card - Hard Foul) 72' COL - Sam Nicholson (Yellow Card - Tactical Foul) 84'
New England Revolution: Earl Edwards Jr.; DeJuan Jones, Dave Romney, Omar Gonzalez, Andrew Farrell (Ben Sweat 86'); Ian Harkes (Noel Buck 63'), Mark-Anthony Kaye; Tomás Chancalay (Esmir Bajraktarevic 63'), Carles Gil ©, Nacho Gil (Damian Rivera 77'); Giacomo Vrioni (Bobby Wood 77').
Substitutes Not Used: Jacob Jackson, Emmanuel Boateng, Christian Makoun, Tommy McNamara
Colorado Rapids: Marko Ilic; Andrew Gutman, Andreas Maxso ©, Moise Bambito, Keegan Roseberry; Conor Ronan, Sidnei Tavares (Ralph Priso 30'); Kevin Cabral (Diego Rubio 68') ,Cole Bassett (Sam Nicholson 83'), Calvin Harris (Braian Galván 68'); Rafael Navarro (Jonathan Lewis 83').
Substitutes Not Used: Abraham Rodriguez, Steven Beitashour, Danny Leyva, Sam Nicholson, Abraham Rodriguez, Danny Wilson
Colorado Rapids Team Statistics New England Revolution 8 (6) Shots (on Target) 17 (6) 0.97 Expected Goals (xG) 0.87 0 Blocked Shots 5 4 Saves 4 3 Corner Kicks 10 0 Offsides 1 17 Fouls 9 305 (80.0%) Passes Attempted (% Completed) 463 (84.5%) 39.4% Possession 60.6%
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 16, 2023
- San Jose Victorious at Home, Earn Vital Three Points in Playoff Push - San Jose Earthquakes
- St. Louis CITY SC Come from Behind to Earn a Point Against Houston Dynamo FC - St. Louis City SC
- Houston Dynamo FC Earn Point Versus St. Louis CITY SC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Sounders FC Plays to 1-1 Draw at FC Dallas - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Defeat New England Revolution 2-1 in Return Home - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Fall to Colorado Rapids, 2-1 - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Suffer 2-1 Defeat at San Jose - Real Salt Lake
- Loons Fall 1-0 to Sporting Kansas City - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting Earns Huge 1-0 Win at Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Cincinnati Erase Two Goal, Second-Half Deficit to Earn Hard Fought Road Point Against Philadelphia Union - FC Cincinnati
- Ramiro Enrique Scores at the Death as Lions Win 4-3 Thriller Over Columbus Crew - Orlando City SC
- Glesnes Starts 100th Consecutive Match - Philadelphia Union
- Gauld Continues MVP Campaign as the 'Caps Keep Rolling on the Road - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire FC Draws CF Montréal 0-0 at Stade Saputo - Chicago Fire FC
- FC Cincinnati Battle Back in Second Half to Earn Road Draw with Philadelphia Union - FC Cincinnati
- Match Preview: LA Galaxy Face off Against LAFC at BMO Stadium Tonight, Saturday, September 16 - LA Galaxy
- Full Time: Charlotte FC Draw D.C. United in Scoreless Match at Bank of America Stadium - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF Falls on the Road Against Atlanta United - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Defeats Inter Miami CF 5-2 - Atlanta United FC
- Nick Cushing: "The Fans Were Incredible." - New York City FC
- NYCFC and Red Bulls Draw - New York City FC
- FC Cincinnati Sees Depth of Leadership as a Strength Leading into Weekend Fixture Without Captain - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Travels to FC Dallas for Saturday Night Matchup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Recall Defender Oskar Ågren from Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Cincinnati Celebrates Grand Opening of OTR Team Store - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: November 21, 2023
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: November 14, 2023
- Revolution Academy Midfielder Cristiano Oliveira Called up for Under-16 U.S. Youth National Team Training Camp
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: November 9, 2023
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: November 2, 2023