New England Revolution Acquire Edgar Castillo from Colorado Rapids in Exchange for Kelyn Rowe
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution have acquired left back Edgar Castillo in a trade with the Colorado Rapids in exchange for midfielder Kelyn Rowe. The trade was completed on Tuesday after Colorado re-signed Castillo, a U.S. international who started 28 matches for the Rapids in 2018 after an 11-year career in Mexico's Liga MX.
Rowe, a seven-year Revolution and MLS veteran, departs New England with 206 MLS games played, 160 starts, 29 goals, 40 assists, and more than 14,000 minutes played in the regular season. In the postseason, he added eight appearances, seven starts, one goal, and two assists. The Federal Way, Wash. native is one of only four Revolution players with 40 career assists and one of only two with at least five six-assist campaigns. He also ranks second in club history with six career U.S. Open Cup goals.
"On behalf of the organization, I want to thank Kelyn for the past seven years he has spent representing the New England Revolution with professionalism on and off the field," Revolution General Manager Michael Burns said. "Beyond his numerous contributions on the field, he will always be remembered by the club and the fans for his work in the community. We wish Kelyn all the best."
Rowe's time in New England was marked by a commitment to a number of philanthropic causes, including fighting childhood cancer through his work with Jessie Rees Foundation and Kelyn's NEGU Crew. For his work in the community, he was named the Revolution Humanitarian of the Year four straight times from 2014-17.
Castillo, 32, brings over 12 years of experience to the Revolution, including 11 professional seasons and multiple championships in Liga MX, as well as one season in MLS with the Rapids. His overall career totals include more than 370 appearances with 13 goals and 16 assists across more than 29,000 minutes played. Before scoring three goals with five assists in 2018 MLS starts, Castillo excelled at several of Liga MX's top clubs, most recently for Monterrey, where he made 52 appearances from 2015-17.
"We are excited to welcome Edgar to the Revolution and look forward to having him join us in New England ahead of preseason next month," Burns said. "We believe his experience at both the domestic and international levels, including his successful first season in MLS with the Rapids last year, will immediately benefit us this season."
The Las Cruces, New Mexico native began his senior career with Santos Laguna in 2006. After winning a championship with Santos in 2008, Castillo departed for Club América. During subsequent loan stints with Tigres UANL (2009-10), San Luis FC (2010), and Puebla FC (2011), he totaled 49 appearances and four goals. Castillo then joined Club Tijuana, first on loan before a permanent transfer, where he appeared in 94 games across more than 7,800 minutes. He also played in 44 games with Atlas Guadalajara from 2014-15 before joining Monterrey.
The left back is a dual citizen of Mexico and the United States and is one of only two players ever to earn senior caps from both nations. He began his international career by playing three senior games for Mexico, debuting against Colombia in August 2007, before making the one-time switch permitted by FIFA to represent the United States in 2009. Since joining the American side, Castillo has earned 18 caps, including six in both 2014 and 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification, and recorded three assists. He also helped the USMNT clinch the Concacaf Gold Cup title in 2013.
For up-to-the-minute information on the Revolution, visit the team's official web site at revolutionsoccer.net, or join the conversation and interact with fans on any of the team's social platforms.
TRANSACTION: New England Revolution acquire Edgar Castillo in trade with Colorado Rapids in exchange for Kelyn Rowe on Dec. 18, 2018.
Weight: 145 lbs.
Hometown: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Date of Birth: 10/08/1986 (Las Cruces, New Mexico)
Nationality: United States/Mexico
Previous Club: Colorado Rapids
Acquired: Acquired via trade with Colorado Rapids in exchange for Kelyn Rowe on Dec. 18, 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 18, 2018
- Sporting KC Acquires Midfielder Kelyn Rowe in Trade - Sporting Kansas City
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Striker Diego Rubio from Sporting Kansas City - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Acquire Edgar Castillo from Colorado Rapids in Exchange for Kelyn Rowe - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Signs Czech Forward Zdenek Ondrasek - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Re-Sign Kid M3mito to Defend eMLS Cup Championship in 2019 - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs DF Tony Beltran - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Juninho - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquires $75,000 in General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic to New Contract - LA Galaxy
- Columbus Crew SC's Zack Steffen Named 2018 U.S. Soccer Male Player of the Year - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Names Luiz Muzzi as EVP of Soccer Operations - Orlando City SC
- Remy Vercoutre Named Goalkeeping Coach - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Leonardo Bertone - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Revolution Play Real Salt Lake to Scoreless Draw on #KickChildhoodCancer Night
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Real Salt Lake
- Revolution Play Orlando City SC to 3-3 Draw
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Orlando City SC
- Revolution Fall to New York City FC, 2-1