Colorado Rapids Acquire Striker Diego Rubio from Sporting Kansas City
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - Colorado Rapids Soccer Club announced today the acquisition of Sporting Kansas City striker Diego Rubio, in exchange for recently acquired midfielder Kelyn Rowe, $100,000 in Targeted Allocation Money and $200,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM). Rowe was acquired earlier in the day from New England Revolution in exchange for Edgar Castillo. Rubio becomes the third addition to the Rapids attacking front since the conclusion of the 2018 season.
"Diego Rubio was a key target for us heading in to the offseason, so we're delighted to secure his signing and to bring him to Colorado," said Rapids Executive Vice President & General Manager, Pádraig Smith. "Diego is a dangerous striker in front of goal and will provide us with a formidable attacking threat as he pairs up with Kei Kamara."
The Chilean goal scorer joined Sporting Kansas City as a Young Designated Player in 2016. He bagged 15 goals in just 2,121 regular season minutes for Sporting KC, adding a further two key goals during the 2018 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs.
A native of Santiago, Chile, Rubio played for the Spanish Segunda Division side Real Valladolid from 2015-16 where he would make 14 appearances for the club. Prior to arriving in Spain, the talented striker played for Portugal's Primeira Liga giants Sporting Lisbon from 2011-15. He would go on to notch 22 goals in 52 appearances for Sporting B, the club's reserve team. Rubio logged 20 first team appearances, which included six Europa League matches during the 2011-12 season when the club reached the tournament's semifinals.
While playing for the Portuguese team, Rubio was loaned to Romanian side Pandurii Targu Jiu in 2013 and Norwegian club Sandnes Ulf in 2014. The Chilean led Sandnes in goals that season with eight total strikes. He returned to Portugal the following year to log 14 goals, seventh in the league in goals, to close out the 2014-15 season as runners up with Sporting B.
Rubio came through the ranks of Chile's famed Colo-Colo academy and made his professional debut at 17 years of age in 2011. In his time with Colo-Colo, Rubio notched six goals in 10 matches; three of which were scored during Copa Libertadores encounters.
The Chilean international has four senior team caps, the most recent one coming this past September as he started in La Roja's friendly against South Korea.
"I want to thank the Rapids for this opportunity," said Rubio. "I can't wait to take the pitch and score goals in front of Colorado supporters."
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids - December 18, 2018 - Colorado Rapids have acquired striker Diego Rubio from Sporting Kansas City in return for recently acquired midfielder Kelyn Rowe, $100,000 in Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) and $200,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM).
Full Name: Diego Rubio
Weight: 170 lbs.
Birth Date: May 5, 1993
Birthplace: Santiago, Chile
Hometown: Santiago, Chile
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 18, 2018
- Sporting KC Acquires Midfielder Kelyn Rowe in Trade - Sporting Kansas City
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Striker Diego Rubio from Sporting Kansas City - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Acquire Edgar Castillo from Colorado Rapids in Exchange for Kelyn Rowe - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Signs Czech Forward Zdenek Ondrasek - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Re-Sign Kid M3mito to Defend eMLS Cup Championship in 2019 - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs DF Tony Beltran - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Juninho - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquires $75,000 in General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic to New Contract - LA Galaxy
- Columbus Crew SC's Zack Steffen Named 2018 U.S. Soccer Male Player of the Year - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Names Luiz Muzzi as EVP of Soccer Operations - Orlando City SC
- Remy Vercoutre Named Goalkeeping Coach - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Leonardo Bertone - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Loan Forward Niki Jackson to Charlotte Independence
- Colorado Rapids Home Match against Seattle Sounders Postponed Due to Inclement Weather
- Rapids Sign Defender Sebastian Anderson as Homegrown Player
- Colorado Rapids to Host Arsenal for Friendly Match, Presented by Western Union, at Dick's Sporting Goods Park
- Rapids Place ShkÃ«lzen Gashi on Waivers