LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Juninho
LOS ANGELES (Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2018) - The LA Galaxy have signed three-time MLS Cup champion midfielder Juninho after acquiring the Right of First Refusal from the Chicago Fire in exchange for $75,000 in General Allocation Money. The midfielder returns to Los Angeles after three years with Club Tijuana of Liga MX, spending one year on loan with the Chicago Fire.
"I am very excited to welcome back such a talented and well-respected player to our club," said LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese. "Juninho knows what it means to represent the LA Galaxy and will be a leader on and off the field for our players. He is a valuable addition to our roster."
Juninho, 29, originally joined the Galaxy on loan from São Paolo FC at the beginning of the 2010 season. Playing a pivotal role in one of the Galaxy's most dominant eras, Juninho helped the club to the 2010 and 2011 Supporters' Shield, along with MLS Cup titles in 2011 and 2012. After three seasons on loan with the Galaxy, the club signed Juninho in 2013. Juninho captured another MLS Cup with the Galaxy in 2014 and was named to the MLS All-Star Game in 2015.
In his six seasons with LA Galaxy, Juninho made 180 starts and 187 regular season appearances, recording 18 goals and 23 assists along the way. He also recorded an additional 21 appearances, one goal and four assists in postseason play, including scoring the decisive goal in the 2014 Western Conference Final to send the Galaxy to the MLS Cup. Juninho has recorded more minutes in a Galaxy uniform this decade than any other player.
In 2015, Juninho joined Liga MX side Club Tijuana before joining the Chicago Fire on loan the following year.
The LA Galaxy are scheduled to kick off the 2019 MLS Regular Season at Dignity Health Sports Park in March 2019. The club's season opening match, along with the entire 2019 schedule, will be announced at a later date.
Transaction: LA Galaxy sign midfielder Juninho after acquiring Right of First Refusal from Chicago Fire in exchange for $75,000 in General Allocation Money
Name: Vitor Gomes Pereira Júnior (Juninho)
Weight: 140 lbs.
Last Club: Club Tijuana
Birthplace: San Jose dos Campos, Brazil
Nationality: San Jose dos Campos, Brazil
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2019 Major League Soccer season at Dignity Health Sports Park are now available. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2019 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to secure Season Ticket Memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 18, 2018
- Sporting KC Acquires Midfielder Kelyn Rowe in Trade - Sporting Kansas City
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Striker Diego Rubio from Sporting Kansas City - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Acquire Edgar Castillo from Colorado Rapids in Exchange for Kelyn Rowe - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Signs Czech Forward Zdenek Ondrasek - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Re-Sign Kid M3mito to Defend eMLS Cup Championship in 2019 - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs DF Tony Beltran - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Juninho - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquires $75,000 in General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic to New Contract - LA Galaxy
- Columbus Crew SC's Zack Steffen Named 2018 U.S. Soccer Male Player of the Year - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Names Luiz Muzzi as EVP of Soccer Operations - Orlando City SC
- Remy Vercoutre Named Goalkeeping Coach - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Leonardo Bertone - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- 2021 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships Now Available
- Four Additional LA Galaxy Players Depart for International Duty
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Added to USMNT Roster
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 1, Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Wednesday, November 4, 2020