FC Cincinnati Acquires Leonardo Bertone
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati has acquired midfielder Leonardo Bertone via a transfer from BSC Young Boys of the Swiss Super League using Targeted Allocation Money. Bertone, 24, joins FC Cincinnati after playing eight seasons as both a defensive and box-to-box midfielder with Young Boys.
A native of Switzerland, Bertone will occupy an international roster spot on Cincinnati's 2019 MLS roster upon the receipt of his P-1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate.
"I'm really, really excited. From the first moment when I heard about this project, I had a good feeling and said "I want to do this,'" Bertone said. "For me, it was really important that I saw [FC Cincinnati Head Coach Alan Koch] in Switzerland, that's a sign that he wanted me. It was the first time that a coach came to Switzerland for me."
Bertone has made 179 career appearances, including 130 starts, scored 18 goals and added 11 assists across all competitions with Young Boys. In addition to his 131 Swiss Super League appearances, Bertone has also played in a combined 31 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League matches.
"We are excited to add Leo to our roster," Koch said. "He's a skillful player and we believe he is a great fit for our style of play. He comes from a culture of success with Young Boys and we believe he'll be an important part of our foundation as we instill a winning mentality within our group."
The central midfielder was part of the Young Boys side that captured the Swiss Super League championship for the 2017-18 season. During the course of the year, he made 22 appearances, including 15 starts, scored three goals and added two assists in Swiss Super League matches. In his most recent appearance across all competitions, Bertone played 10 minutes in Young Boys' 2-1 victory over Juventus in a UEFA Champions League group stage match on Dec. 12.
Bertone's professional career began in the 2011-12 Swiss Super League season. After making a combined 16 appearances in Swiss League play through his first three professional seasons, Bertone emerged as a regular contributor in 2014-15, when he made 25 league appearances, including 19 starts, and scored three goals. In addition, he also played in nine of Young Boys' 10 UEFA Europa League matches. The midfielder had the best season of his professional career to date in 2015-16, when he made 30 appearances, with 25 starts, and posted career highs with five goals and three assists.
The next time Cincinnati takes the field, it will be as MLS' 24th team in 2019 when the club debuts in the top professional league in the U.S. and Canada. Season tickets for the 2019 season are now on sale at fccincinnati.com/tickets.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. For more information about FC Cincinnati tickets - including 2019 season tickets - call 513-977-KICK (5425) or visit fccincinnati.com/tickets.
Transaction: FC Cincinnati acquired M Leonardo Bertone on a transfer from BSC Young Boys using Targeted Allocation Money on Dec. 18
Pronunciation: lay-oh-NAR-doh bur-TOE-nay
Birthdate: March 14, 1994
Birthplace: Wohlen bei Bern, Switzerland
Hometown: Wohlen bei Bern, Switzerland
Last Club: BSC Young Boys (SUI)
MLS Roster Status: International Player
How Acquired: Acquired via transfer from BSC Young Boys on Dec. 18, 2018
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 18, 2018
- Sporting KC Acquires Midfielder Kelyn Rowe in Trade - Sporting Kansas City
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Striker Diego Rubio from Sporting Kansas City - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Acquire Edgar Castillo from Colorado Rapids in Exchange for Kelyn Rowe - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Signs Czech Forward Zdenek Ondrasek - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Re-Sign Kid M3mito to Defend eMLS Cup Championship in 2019 - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs DF Tony Beltran - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Juninho - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquires $75,000 in General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic to New Contract - LA Galaxy
- Columbus Crew SC's Zack Steffen Named 2018 U.S. Soccer Male Player of the Year - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Names Luiz Muzzi as EVP of Soccer Operations - Orlando City SC
- Remy Vercoutre Named Goalkeeping Coach - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Leonardo Bertone - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- Orlando City SC Blows out FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Recall Logan Gdula from Phoenix Rising FC; Loan Gdula to Hartford Athletic
- FC Cincinnati Launch Local #SoccerForAll Campaign
- Deposits for 2020 Season Tickets Now Accepted
- Victor Ulloa Named to MLS Team of the Week