Naturals Again Hang on in 9th, Taking Finale 4-3
SPRINGDALE, Ar. -- The Springfield Cardinals (18-25) again battled back within one run in the ninth, but the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (19-23) escaped with a 4-3 win in the series finale at Arvest Ballpark on Sunday afternoon.
W: RHP Jace Vines (2-4)
L: LHP Austin Warner (2-3)
S: LHP J.C. Cloney (1)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
-In his first game back from the Injured List, 3B Elehuris Montero belted a solo shot to lead off the top of the fourth and lift the Cardinals into the 1-0 lead.
-The Naturals seized the lead in the bottom of the fourth with a two-out, three-run blast from C Xavier Fernandez, lifting Northwest Arkansas into the 3-1 lead.
-Naturals 2B Gabriel Cancel added to the Northwest Arkansas lead with a solo home run that led off the sixth and made it 4-1.
-DH Dylan Carlson shaved the deficit to 4-2 with a two-out solo shot in the seventh, his third homer of the series and seventh of the season.
-An RBI single from SS Alberto Triunfel in the top of the ninth brought the Cardinals within one run, but the Naturals hung on from there for the 4-3 win.
-OF Dylan Carlson collected an extra-base hit in all four games of the series, going 6x16 with three homers, two triples, a double, six RBIs and four runs in the four games.
-3B Elehuris Montero made his return from the Injured List with a 2x4 line including his third homer of the season.
-2B Irving Lopez went 3x4 with a double and a run in the ninth, and has hit safely in 11 of his last 14 games.
-1B Evan Mendoza extended a nine-game hitting streak with a 2x4 game that included a double. He has now hit safely in 18 of his last 19 games.
-LHP Austin Warner tossed a season-high 7.1 innings, striking out nine batters. He struck out 19 through 14.1 innings across two starts on the week.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
Springfield returns home on Monday, May 20 at 6:30 p.m. for Game 1 of a three-game series against the Tulsa Drillers. Don't miss the next Great Southern Bank $1 Dog Day with hot dogs for just a buck on Tuesday, May 21 at 6:30pm, before the quick series wraps up with an 11:10am First Pitch on Wednesday, May 22.
Check out all the upcoming fun and get your tickets today at www.SpringfieldCardinals.com.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Sod Poodles Win Third Straight, Take Series in Frisco - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Altmann Plates Three in Series Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Hounds Rally for Series Split - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Again Hang on in 9th, Taking Finale 4-3 - Springfield Cardinals
- Naturals Take Series with 4-3 Triumph - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- 9th Inning Rally Gives Travs Series Win in Tulsa - Arkansas Travelers
- Travelers Stun Drillers with Ninth Inning Rally - Tulsa Drillers
- Moix Monday Pup-Days - Arkansas Travelers
- Naturals Take Wild Win on Stormy Saturday - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Chinea Drives in 4, Cardinals Sweep Hooks with 8-6 Win
- Parsons Leads Cardinals to 6-3 Win over Hooks in Double-A Debut
- Mieses 3-Run Homer Propels Cardinals to 4-2 Win over Hooks
- Carlson, Warner Named 2019 Texas League All-Stars
- Cardinals Take Series from RockHounds on Kirtley's Walk-Off