Naturals Again Hang on in 9th, Taking Finale 4-3
SPRINGDALE, Ar. -- The Springfield Cardinals (18-25) again battled back within one run in the ninth, but the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (19-23) escaped with a 4-3 win in the series finale at Arvest Ballpark on Sunday afternoon.
W: RHP Jace Vines (2-4)
L: LHP Austin Warner (2-3)
S: LHP J.C. Cloney (1)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
-In his first game back from the Injured List, 3B Elehuris Montero belted a solo shot to lead off the top of the fourth and lift the Cardinals into the 1-0 lead.
-The Naturals seized the lead in the bottom of the fourth with a two-out, three-run blast from C Xavier Fernandez, lifting Northwest Arkansas into the 3-1 lead.
-Naturals 2B Gabriel Cancel added to the Northwest Arkansas lead with a solo home run that led off the sixth and made it 4-1.
-DH Dylan Carlson shaved the deficit to 4-2 with a two-out solo shot in the seventh, his third homer of the series and seventh of the season.
-An RBI single from SS Alberto Triunfel in the top of the ninth brought the Cardinals within one run, but the Naturals hung on from there for the 4-3 win.
-OF Dylan Carlson collected an extra-base hit in all four games of the series, going 6x16 with three homers, two triples, a double, six RBIs and four runs in the four games.
-3B Elehuris Montero made his return from the Injured List with a 2x4 line including his third homer of the season.
-2B Irving Lopez went 3x4 with a double and a run in the ninth, and has hit safely in 11 of his last 14 games.
-1B Evan Mendoza extended a nine-game hitting streak with a 2x4 game that included a double. He has now hit safely in 18 of his last 19 games.
-LHP Austin Warner tossed a season-high 7.1 innings, striking out nine batters. He struck out 19 through 14.1 innings across two starts on the week.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
Springfield returns home on Monday, May 20 at 6:30 p.m. for Game 1 of a three-game series against the Tulsa Drillers. Don't miss the next Great Southern Bank $1 Dog Day with hot dogs for just a buck on Tuesday, May 21 at 6:30pm, before the quick series wraps up with an 11:10am First Pitch on Wednesday, May 22.
Check out all the upcoming fun and get your tickets today at www.SpringfieldCardinals.com.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Sod Poodles Win Third Straight, Take Series in Frisco - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Altmann Plates Three in Series Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Hounds Rally for Series Split - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Again Hang on in 9th, Taking Finale 4-3 - Springfield Cardinals
- Naturals Take Series with 4-3 Triumph - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- 9th Inning Rally Gives Travs Series Win in Tulsa - Arkansas Travelers
- Travelers Stun Drillers with Ninth Inning Rally - Tulsa Drillers
- Moix Monday Pup-Days - Arkansas Travelers
- Naturals Take Wild Win on Stormy Saturday - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.