Moose Sign Eastman and Burrows
Columbia, SC (August 3, 2004) - The Columbia Inferno, the ECHL affiliate of the Manitoba Moose, announced that the Moose have signed defenseman Derek Eastman and re-signed forward Alex Burrows.
Eastman, 24, appeared in 72 games in his first season as a pro in 2003-04 with the Columbia Inferno of the ECHL, scoring 13 goals and 48 points to go along with 69 penalty minutes. As a result, he was named to the ECHLs All-Rookie team. Previously, the St. Paul, MN native spent four seasons with St. Cloud State of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association where he played in 118 games and scored 18 goals and 68 points.
Derek impressed his peers and was rewarded accordingly last season as he was voted on the ECHL All Rookie Team, said Coach White. He has the speed and ability to challenge for a spot with the Moose. I expect him to be well prepared for the upcoming season and to make a strong impression in Manitoba.
Burrows played in two games with the Moose in 2003-04, registering no points. The Pincourt, PQ native suited up for Manitoba on December 6 vs. Rochester and in Hamilton on February 15. In 64 games with the Inferno last year, the 23-year old finished second in team scoring with 29 goals and 44 assists for 73 points, while accumulating 194 penalty minutes. He was Columbias lone representative in the ECHL All-Star Game and registered one assist. Burrows was signed as a free agent by the Moose on October 21, 2003.
Coach White said, Alex had an excellent season for us last year. He has a good skill package combined with tenacity that makes him very difficult to play against. With added strength over the summer he should challenge for more playing time in Manitoba.
The Columbia Inferno will open the 2004-05 season on Friday, October 22nd against the South Carolina Stingrays. Season, group and partial packages are now on sale by calling 256-PUCK.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from August 3, 2004
- Aces complete swap with Bakersfield, Florida - Alaska Aces
- Condors Pick Up Winger From Alaska - Bakersfield Condors
- Blades Acquire All-Star Defenseman Reimann - Florida Everblades
- Checkers sign left wing Dusty Jamieson - Charlotte Checkers
- Gionet, Galbraith and Gibson sign offers with Ice Pilots - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Ice Dogs Reach Affiliation Agreement With Montreal Canadiens - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Chiefs Sign Rookie Defenseman and Goaltender - Johnstown Chiefs
- Mississippi Signs Goalie - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Moose Sign Eastman and Burrows - Columbia Inferno
- Gladiators Sign Defenseman Emmett - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.