Montgomery Named CL Pitcher Of The Week
Wilmington, DE - The Carolina League announced on Monday that Wilmington Blue Rocks starter Michael Montgomery has been named the CL Pitcher of the Week for the period ranging from April 8-18.
Montgomery made a pair of starts over that stretch and was nearly untouchable. The left-hander posted a 1-0 record with a scant 0.75 earned run average.
Montgomery was the Rocks' Opening Day starter on April 8, allowing only a single unearned tally in five solid frames against the Myrtle Beach Pelicans. He took a no-decision that night, but raised his game to another level in his second start of the season.
The Valencia, CA native whiffed a career-best 13 men in a 3-1 defeat of the Kinston Indians at historic Grainger Stadium on April 13. Montgomery did not allow a baserunner until the K-Tribe began the seventh with an infield single. His outing ended after that frame having surrendered just one run on two hits, and without issuing a free pass.
Eleven of Montgomery's 13 strikeouts came on swings, and the total was the most by a Blue Rock since current big leaguer Aníbal Sánchez whiffed 14 versus Salem on April 16, 2005.
This marks the second time Montgomery has been honored as the league's Pitcher of the Week. Montgomery was the CL Pitcher of the Week during the final week of the 2009 season, which ironically enough, was the last time the CL doled out the award.
Montgomery goes back to work tonight as he gets the start for Wilmington in its 6:35 p.m. game with the Kinston Indians. For tickets call 302-888-BLUE, or visit bluerocks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from April 19, 2010
- Late-Inning Offense Leads Frederick to Another Win - Frederick Keys
- Keys Down Nats in Series Opener, 8-5 - Potomac Nationals
- Sox Streak Snapped in 9-5 Setback to Hillcats - Salem Red Sox
- Hillcats Smack Sox in Game 1 Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Rocks Sneak Past K-Tribe - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Crazy Play Helps Dash Win Sixth Straight - Winston-Salem Dash
- De La Cruz Deals, but Kinston Loses Late - Kinston Indians
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Montgomery Named CL Pitcher Of The Week - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- K-Tribe Continues Road Trip In Wilmington - Kinston Indians
- Listen To The K-Tribe For Free On Your Phone - Kinston Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.