Monterey Bay F.C. Hosts Phoenix Rising FC in Midweek Match at Cardinale Stadium
SEASIDE, California - Monterey Bay F.C. welcomes Phoenix Rising FC to Cardinale Stadium in Week 29 of the 2022 USL Championship regular season on Wednesday, September 21, presented by Monterey Touring Vehicles. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. PT and can be streamed live on ESPN+.
Monterey Bay F.C. vs. Phoenix Rising FC
Cardinale Stadium; Seaside, California
Wednesday, September 21, 2022; 7:30 p.m. PT
Records: Monterey Bay F.C. (12-14-2, 38 points); Phoenix Rising FC (9-15-5, 32 points)
FiveThirtyEight Predictor: MBFC 45%, PHX 28%, Draw 27%
Head-to-Head: Rising FC has the early advantage over Monterey Bay F.C. after winning as the hosts in the Union's inaugural regular-season match, though the sides have never before played at Cardinale Stadium. The aforementioned match ended 4-2 in favor of Phoenix at the Rising Soccer Complex on March 12.
Match Outlook: Following the Union's 5-0 victory over Indy Eleven over the weekend, the Seaside club will be entering Wednesday's match on the back of three consecutive wins. Rising FC comes into the match on the ropes following a 3-0 loss in San Diego on Saturday. Now, with Phoenix having served Monterey Bay F.C. a welcome-to-the-league type of loss in its first-ever regular-season match in USL Championship back in March, the Crisp & Kelp will have a chance to severely hinder Rising FC's playoff chances with a win on Wednesday.
Connections: Monterey Bay F.C. Sporting Director and Head Coach Frank Yallop spent the 2016-2017 campaigns as the Head Coach and President of Soccer Operations for Phoenix Rising FC. During that time, Yallop coached another Union-Rising connection in forward Chris Cortez. Cortez scored 29 goals in 76 appearances for Rising FC from 2016-2018. In addition, Monterey Bay F.C. forward Jason Johnson scored 23 goals in 71 appearances in three seasons with Rising FC from 2017-2019, and spent the 2017 and 2018 seasons as teammates with Cortez.
Additional Notes: In the second-ever meeting between the Western Conference sides, the Union will look to even up the season series with a win at home on Wednesday. Sam Gleadle has scored four goals in the past three matches entering the match. Heading into Wednesday, the Union defense will look to add a third consecutive clean sheet and 11th on the year. Monterey Bay F.C. is 8-5-2 so far this season at home, while Phoenix Rising FC is 2-10-2 on the road.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 20, 2022
- San Antonio FC Defeats Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 1-0 - San Antonio FC
- Switchbacks FC Play Physical Match, Lose to San Antonio FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Repeat Its First Match against Monterey Bay FC. - Phoenix Rising FC
- Proceeds from Hispanic Heritage Month Scarf to Benefit La Familia Counseling Center - Sacramento Republic FC
- Danny Vitiello Nominated for USL Championship Save of the Week for Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Enzo Martinez Named to USL Championship Player of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- Hartford Go South to Face Loudoun, Look to Extend Undefeated Streak - Hartford Athletic
- Ariel Martínez and Yannik Oettl Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Hartford Athletic
- Four Republic FC Players Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Memphis 901 FC's Phillip Goodrum and Patrick Seagrist Earn USL Championship Team of the Week Honors - Memphis 901 FC
- Gleadle, Siaha Earn Week 28 TOW Honors - Monterey Bay FC
- Birmingham's Enzo Martínez earns award after inspiring victory - USL
- Midweek Business: Le Rouge Travels to Take on New York Red Bulls II - Detroit City FC
- Two Lights FC Players Called into El Salvador National Team - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Phoenix Rising Goes on the Road to Battle against San Diego Loyal - Phoenix Rising FC
- Inside the Match: New York Red Bulls II vs. Detroit City FC - New York Red Bulls II
- $1 Beer Nights Return for FC Tulsa's Final Two Home Matches of 2022 - FC Tulsa
- Oakland Raised Hip Hop Superstar G-Eazy Joins Oakland Roots Ownership Group - Oakland Roots
- Battery Announce Lee Cohen as New Club President - Charleston Battery
- Monterey Bay F.C. Hosts Phoenix Rising FC in Midweek Match at Cardinale Stadium - Monterey Bay FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.