San Antonio FC Defeats Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 1-0
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC defeated Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 1-0 tonight, moving the club to 21-5-4 with a league-leading 67 points. With the win, SAFC is just one point away from securing the top seed in the USL Championship Western Conference.
PC scored the deciding goal in the 76th minute, scoring after his penalty attempt was saved but ricocheted right back to him.
Jordan Farr kept his 13 clean sheet of the season, setting a new club record in the process, and moving the team's home unbeaten streak to 13 matches.
SAFC finishes a three-match week on Saturday, hosting Sacramento Republic FC at 7:30 p.m. CT from Toyota Field. Tickets are available now at SanAntonioFC.com or the SAFC app, and the match will be broadcast on ESPN+.
SAFC: 1-0, PC 76'
COS: Yellow Card (Dennis Erdmann) 14'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Jasser Khmiri) 23'
COS: Yellow Card (Michael Edwards) 45'
COS: Yellow Card (Triston Hodge) 55'
COS: Yellow Card (Bench) 69'
COS: Yellow Card (Elvis Amoh) 74'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Ignacio Bailone) 86'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Jordan Farr; D: Shannon Gomez, Carter Manley, Jasser Khmiri, Mitchell Taintor, Connor Maloney; M: PC (captain), Cristian Parano (Nicky Hernandez 83'), Mohammed Abu; F: Ignacio Bailone, Elliot Collier (Jack Lynn 68')
Substitutions not used: Grant Makela, Ates Diouf, Deshane Beckford, Jordy Delem, Jordan Ayimbila
SAFC moves to 21-5-4 on the season with 67 points, leading the USL Championship.
PC's goal was his second on the season, and fourth with SAFC.
Jordan Farr kept his league-leading 13th clean sheet of the season behind two saves.
Farr's clean sheet total is a new club record and tied for the fourth-most in a single season in club history.
SAFC is now just one point shy of clinching the top seed in the Western Conference.
The win advances the team's unbeaten home streak to 13 matches.
SAFC moves to 19-0-1 when scoring first this season, and 21-0-4 when scoring.
Head Coach Alen Marcina
(On the win...)
"I'm incredibly proud of the mentality monsters. I felt that we controlled the game from start to finish and were definitely the aggressors with and without the ball. It made Colorado [Springs] very uncomfortable and forced them to stay in their half. They then had to resort to long balls, so it made it very difficult, and we shut down their key players, which is essential in a game like this. And to get three points against one of the top attacking teams in the league, is a great day, and a well-deserved and earned three points."
(On the penalty after failing to score in the first half...)
"We should've scored in the first half, the keeper made like two or three good saves over there. We didn't score but we kept the fight like I said. We're a resilient team, we keep fighting keep doing our things until we score. So we scored and won the game."
Goalkeeper Jordan Farr
(On breaking the club record...)
"This club is extremely important to me, and this city. So anytime you get to represent it, it's a privilege. But the fact that we are setting records as a team, and again I always said this, that shutouts are a team stat, and my name just goes on it. So I'm super proud to hold that, but it's only possible with the incredible group we have and I'm proud that we can do it for the city of San Antonio and hope to keep it going."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 20, 2022
- San Antonio FC Defeats Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 1-0 - San Antonio FC
- Switchbacks FC Play Physical Match, Lose to San Antonio FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Repeat Its First Match against Monterey Bay FC. - Phoenix Rising FC
- Proceeds from Hispanic Heritage Month Scarf to Benefit La Familia Counseling Center - Sacramento Republic FC
- Danny Vitiello Nominated for USL Championship Save of the Week for Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Enzo Martinez Named to USL Championship Player of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- Hartford Go South to Face Loudoun, Look to Extend Undefeated Streak - Hartford Athletic
- Ariel Martínez and Yannik Oettl Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Hartford Athletic
- Four Republic FC Players Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Memphis 901 FC's Phillip Goodrum and Patrick Seagrist Earn USL Championship Team of the Week Honors - Memphis 901 FC
- Gleadle, Siaha Earn Week 28 TOW Honors - Monterey Bay FC
- Birmingham's Enzo Martínez earns award after inspiring victory - USL
- Midweek Business: Le Rouge Travels to Take on New York Red Bulls II - Detroit City FC
- Two Lights FC Players Called into El Salvador National Team - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Phoenix Rising Goes on the Road to Battle against San Diego Loyal - Phoenix Rising FC
- Inside the Match: New York Red Bulls II vs. Detroit City FC - New York Red Bulls II
- $1 Beer Nights Return for FC Tulsa's Final Two Home Matches of 2022 - FC Tulsa
- Oakland Raised Hip Hop Superstar G-Eazy Joins Oakland Roots Ownership Group - Oakland Roots
- Battery Announce Lee Cohen as New Club President - Charleston Battery
- Monterey Bay F.C. Hosts Phoenix Rising FC in Midweek Match at Cardinale Stadium - Monterey Bay FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Announces 2024 Promotional Schedule
- San Antonio FC Tops Antigua Gfc 2-0 in International Preseason Friendly
- San Antonio FC Announces Community First Health Plans as Official Jersey Partner
- San Antonio FC Acquires Kevon Lambert on Loan from Real Salt Lake
- San Antonio FC Falls to Houston Dynamo 2 3-2