Birmingham's Enzo Martínez earns award after inspiring victory
September 20, 2022 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) News Release
TAMPA, Fla. - The USL Championship announced the Team of thr Week for Week 28 of the 2022 regular season on Tuesday, with Birmingham Legion FC midfielder Enzo Martínez voted the Championship Player of the Week presented by Konami eFootball for the second time this season.
Martínez and Legion FC trailed Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC 1-0 at home at halftime of last Wednesday's match. The match was a pivotal one in the equation for seeding in the Eastern Conference. With a loss, Birmingham would have fallen four points behind Pittsburgh into 5th place in the East. The difference between finishing fourth and fifth in the table is the difference between hosting a quarterfinal match and playing it on the road, so the stakes were high.
Martínez took control of the match and carried his team to victory as Legion FC ended the night in fourth place, two points ahead of Pittsburgh. First, he took advantage of a failed clearance attempt and popped a loose ball up to himself in the box before firing past Hounds goalkeeper Jahmali White from a sharp angle to tie the match in the 50th minute. In the 66th minute, Martinez raced past the Pittsburgh defense to receive a through ball and cut it back through traffic for Sadik Balarabe to finish for a 2-1 Birmingham lead.
GK - Yannik Oettl, Hartford Athletic FC: Oettl posted a five-shutout in his team's 3-0 victory over Las Vegas Lights FC, including on a shot from point-blank range in the second half that would have halved Las Vegas' deficit.
D - Patrick Seagrist, Memphis 901 FC: Seagrist had a strong all-around game in Memphis' 5-0 win over the Charleston Battery, helping to keep a clean sheet and tallying one assist off two chances created at the offensive end.
D - Sean Totsch, Louisville City FC: Totsch set a new USL Championship single-season scoring record for defenders with his ninth goal of the season in a 4-2 win over Loudoun United FC. Totsch also completed more than 90 percent of his passes and tallied three clearances.
D - Duke Lacroix, Sacramento Republic FC: Lacroix completed 84 passes at 98 percent accuracy, while contributing to a clean sheet in a 4-0 win over Orange County SC. He also added three tackles and an interception.
M - Enzo Martínez, Birmingham Legion FC: Martínez scored and assisted as his team overturned a halftime deficit against a close rival in the standings.
M - Damià Viader, Sacramento Republic FC: Viader recorded a goal and an assist in a lopsided win over Orange County, while completing 87 percent of his passes and creating a pair of chances.
M - Sam Gleadle, Monterey Bay FC: Gleadle racked up a goal and a pair of assists as Monterey Bay F.C. cruised to a 5-0 win over the Indy Eleven.
M - Dylan Mares, El Paso Locomotive FC: Mares scored a goal and recorded four tackles, two clearances and an interception, all while completing 87 percent of his passes in a 3-2 road win over Los Angeles Galaxy II.
F - Phillip Goodrum, Memphis 901 FC: Goodrum scored twice in the opening 12 minutes of the match and later added an assist in a comprehensive victory over Charleston.
F - Maalique Foster, Sacramento Republic FC: Foster scored a pair of goals and created two chances in a runaway win.
F - Ariel Martinez, Hartford Athletic: Martinez scored twice from three shots as his side eased past Las Vegas.
Bench: Antony Siaha (MB), Jackson Kasanzu (SD), Edgardo Rito (OAK), Jack Blake (SD), Christian Pinzon (RGV), Brian Ownby (LOU), Keko (SAC)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 20, 2022
- San Antonio FC Defeats Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 1-0 - San Antonio FC
- Switchbacks FC Play Physical Match, Lose to San Antonio FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Repeat Its First Match against Monterey Bay FC. - Phoenix Rising FC
- Proceeds from Hispanic Heritage Month Scarf to Benefit La Familia Counseling Center - Sacramento Republic FC
- Danny Vitiello Nominated for USL Championship Save of the Week for Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Enzo Martinez Named to USL Championship Player of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- Hartford Go South to Face Loudoun, Look to Extend Undefeated Streak - Hartford Athletic
- Ariel Martínez and Yannik Oettl Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Hartford Athletic
- Four Republic FC Players Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Memphis 901 FC's Phillip Goodrum and Patrick Seagrist Earn USL Championship Team of the Week Honors - Memphis 901 FC
- Gleadle, Siaha Earn Week 28 TOW Honors - Monterey Bay FC
- Birmingham's Enzo Martínez earns award after inspiring victory - USL
- Midweek Business: Le Rouge Travels to Take on New York Red Bulls II - Detroit City FC
- Two Lights FC Players Called into El Salvador National Team - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Phoenix Rising Goes on the Road to Battle against San Diego Loyal - Phoenix Rising FC
- Inside the Match: New York Red Bulls II vs. Detroit City FC - New York Red Bulls II
- $1 Beer Nights Return for FC Tulsa's Final Two Home Matches of 2022 - FC Tulsa
- Oakland Raised Hip Hop Superstar G-Eazy Joins Oakland Roots Ownership Group - Oakland Roots
- Battery Announce Lee Cohen as New Club President - Charleston Battery
- Monterey Bay F.C. Hosts Phoenix Rising FC in Midweek Match at Cardinale Stadium - Monterey Bay FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.