MONARCHS SQUEAK BY BEAST IN OVERTIME
MANCHESTER, NEW HAMPSHIRE - The Manchester Monarchs scored three goals in the third period and added another one in the extra frame to complete the comeback and take a 6-5 overtime win over the Brampton Beast at SNHU Arena on Friday night.
Brandon Marino scored a pair of goals for Brampton while Jamie Doornbosch and Daniel Ciampini each recorded a goal and two assists.
The game got off to a quick start as the Monarchs got a goal from Spencer Watson just 25 seconds into the game.
The quick opposition goal didn't knock the Beast off stride. Just over two minutes later, Jamie Doornbosch took a drop pass from Daniel Ciampini and fired home a quick one-timer from the right wing faceoff circle and beat Monarchs starter Matt O'Connor to tie the game at 2:34.
Just 30 seconds later, the Beast took their first lead of the game. Brandon Marino got his stick on a shot from Ciampini and redirected in his 12th goal of the season at 3:04.
The Beast continued to press and pushed their lead to 3-1 by the 13:48 mark of the first period. Ciampini capitalized off a big rebound from O'Connor and tucked in his his fourth goal of the season.
Manchester got one back in the final seconds of the first frame with Francois Beauchemin recording the 3-2 goal with just 14 seconds left, putting an end to a wild first period that saw the Beast outshoot the Monarchs 20-5.
Brampton continued to apply pressure into the second period and were paid off for their tenacity. Marino pounced on a juicy rebound let out by O'Connor and made no mistake in netting his second of the night just 3:01 into the period.
Exactly eight minutes later, Reggie Traccitto scooped up a puck just inside the blue line, surveyed his options and sent a hard shot on goal that got through a crowd and beat the goaltender for a 5-2 Beast lead at 11:01.
The Beast held the 5-2 lead until the Monarchs started the late comeback with Beauchemin's second of the game at 8:59, making it a 5-3 game.
Manchester continued to press and made it 5-4 at 12:14 thanks to Watson's second of the game.
With the Beast on their heels, Manchester tied the game with less than a minute remaining as Jordan Smotherman scored on a shorthanded breakaway at 19:27.
Manchester ended the Beast's hopes for a victory at the 2:49 mark of overtime as Watson completed the hat trick as he banked a shot off a Beast defender and into the goal for the 6-5 win.
Carmine Guerriero made 23 saves in his first start with the Beast, while O'Connor earned the win with 35 saves.
NOTES: The Beast finished the game 0-for-2 on the power play and a perfect 2-for-2 on the penalty kill.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 5, 2018
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Team with Genesis for Pink in the Rink - Quad City Mallards
- Royals Have Wednesday Game Before 9-Day Break - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Weekly - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Road Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Admirals Add 6'6" Defenseman Chuard - Norfolk Admirals
- 'Blades Let Lead Hop Away in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Parizek, Desrosiers Chosen as Fantasy Team and Golden - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Stevenson Wins Fantasy Vote; Starrett Selected as Team's Golden Goalie - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop Weekly - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Complete Suspended Game Tomorrow Night - Quad City Mallards
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Komets Sweep Pair for Week 17 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fuel Unveil "Hockey for Indy" Initiative - Indy Fuel
- Luukko Wins Royals Fantasy Team Vote, Muse Selected as Team's Golden Goalie - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces 2018 Fantasy Team and Golden Goalie Participants - ECHL
- Colorado Drops Third Straight with 5-1 Loss to Americans - Colorado Eagles
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- THUNDER SNAP OILERS STREAK IN WICHITA - Tulsa Oilers
- MONARCH STUN BEAST IN OVERTIME, 6-5 - Manchester Monarchs
- INDY CLOSES ROAD SWING WITH 7-3 LOSS - Indy Fuel
- RAILERS COUGH UP TWO-GOAL LEAD IN 3RD PERIOD, THEN FALL IN OVERTIME TO THUNDER - Worcester Railers HC
- MONARCHS SQUEAK BY BEAST IN OVERTIME - Brampton Beast
- NAILERS SCORE SEVEN ON 90's NIGHT - Wheeling Nailers
- McCARTHY AND READING CAPSIZE ADMIRALS, 7-1 - Reading Royals
- Admirals Release Forward Allevi - Norfolk Admirals
- Hayden Hodgson Assigned from Cleveland Monsters (AHL) to the Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Reading's Muse Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Warning Heads to AHL with San Jose - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Brampton Beast Stories
- Beast Unveil Most Exciting Fan-Friendly Schedule in Team History
- Dunn Scores Twice But Beast Drop Season Finale to Adirondack
- Beast Put a Dent in K-Wings Playoff Plans with 2-1 Victory
- MacLean Snipes from Distance as Beast Topple Nailers
- Piacentini Records First Pro Point in Beast Loss to Railers