Warning Heads to AHL with San Jose
MOLINE, Ill. - Quad City Mallards forward Sam Warning has signed a professional tryout agreement with the American Hockey League's San Jose Barracuda, the Mallards announced today.
Warning, 25, leads the Mallards in goals (16) and points (31) and is tied for the team lead in power play goals (4) and shorthanded goals (1). The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Chesterfield, Missouri native has also picked up 15 assists while playing in 41 games this season.
Warning is in his third season in the Quad Cities. He has totaled 56 goals, 60 assists and 116 points in 174 career games since turning professional with the Mallards in 2015-16. Last year he scored 24 goals and added 34 assists for 54 points in 68 games.
While Warning has not yet played a game in the AHL, he has skated in AHL training camps during each of the last two preseasons. He took part in the Chicago Wolves' camp prior to the start of this season after competing in Iowa Wild camp in October, 2016. Warning signed an amateur tryout agreement with the AHL's Hershey Bears in April of 2015- shortly after completing his collegiate career at the University of Minnesota- but did not see any game action for the Bears.
Warning scored 40 goals and collected 57 assists for 97 points in 146 games over four seasons at Minnesota. In 2014-15, Warning completed his collegiate career by scoring 12 goals and notching 12 assists for 24 points in 39 games. Warning earned All-Big Ten Honorable Mention after scoring 14 times, registering 20 assists and ringing up 34 points in 39 games in 2013-14. He was also named to the 2014 NCAA Frozen Four All-Tournament Team after helping the Golden Gophers to the Frozen Four for the second time in three seasons. Warning and the Gophers claimed conference regular season titles and NCAA tournament bids each of his first three collegiate seasons. Warning was also named to conference all-academic teams each of his final three seasons at Minnesota.
Warning arrived at Minnesota after spending two junior seasons with the United States Hockey League's Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, whom he helped to a first overall finish in 2010-11.
About the Quad City Mallards: One of the winningest teams in all of minor league hockey, the Mallards competed in the United Hockey League from 1995 through 2007; in the International Hockey League in 2009-10; and in the Central Hockey League from 2010 through 2014. The Mallards' proud history has seen them capture the UHL's Colonial Cup Championship three times (1997, 1998, 2001) and secure that league's Tarry Cup four times (1998, 2000, 2001, 2002) for the best overall regular season record. In 2001, the Mallards made professional hockey history, recording their sixth consecutive season with 50 or more wins, a feat that has yet to be matched. The TaxSlayer Center provides a unique environment for hockey and features one-of-a-kind seating areas such as the Nest for groups and functions and the exclusive Drake Club.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 5, 2018
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Team with Genesis for Pink in the Rink - Quad City Mallards
- Royals Have Wednesday Game Before 9-Day Break - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Weekly - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Road Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Admirals Add 6'6" Defenseman Chuard - Norfolk Admirals
- 'Blades Let Lead Hop Away in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Parizek, Desrosiers Chosen as Fantasy Team and Golden - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Stevenson Wins Fantasy Vote; Starrett Selected as Team's Golden Goalie - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop Weekly - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Complete Suspended Game Tomorrow Night - Quad City Mallards
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Komets Sweep Pair for Week 17 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fuel Unveil "Hockey for Indy" Initiative - Indy Fuel
- Luukko Wins Royals Fantasy Team Vote, Muse Selected as Team's Golden Goalie - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces 2018 Fantasy Team and Golden Goalie Participants - ECHL
- Colorado Drops Third Straight with 5-1 Loss to Americans - Colorado Eagles
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- THUNDER SNAP OILERS STREAK IN WICHITA - Tulsa Oilers
- MONARCH STUN BEAST IN OVERTIME, 6-5 - Manchester Monarchs
- INDY CLOSES ROAD SWING WITH 7-3 LOSS - Indy Fuel
- RAILERS COUGH UP TWO-GOAL LEAD IN 3RD PERIOD, THEN FALL IN OVERTIME TO THUNDER - Worcester Railers HC
- MONARCHS SQUEAK BY BEAST IN OVERTIME - Brampton Beast
- NAILERS SCORE SEVEN ON 90's NIGHT - Wheeling Nailers
- McCARTHY AND READING CAPSIZE ADMIRALS, 7-1 - Reading Royals
- Admirals Release Forward Allevi - Norfolk Admirals
- Hayden Hodgson Assigned from Cleveland Monsters (AHL) to the Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Reading's Muse Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Warning Heads to AHL with San Jose - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.