Miracle Gain Ground In Playoff Race
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - Taylor Grzelakowski, the Florida State League's batting leader, collected two hits, and the Miracle scored two runs on wild pitches, including the game winner, to knock off the St. Lucie Mets, 3-2, on Friday night at First Data Field.
The win moves the Miracle to within 0.5 games of the Charlotte Stone Crabs in the South Division playoff race.
After scoring a run in the third on a wild pitch to tie the game, 1-1, the Miracle took their first lead in the fourth on a Grzelakowski RBI single to left. Grzelakowski finished 2-5 and is hitting .308 on the season.
The Miracle added to their lead in the eighth inning. Caleb Hamilton tripled off the glove of Jacob Zanon in left, before scoring on a wild pitch two batters later.
St. Lucie's Michael Paez trimmed the deficit to one with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the frame, but that would be the closest the Mets would come.
Miracle left-hander Charlie Barnes (6-6) limited the Mets to one run in five innings. The Sumter, South Carolina native yielded five hits.
Ryan Mason, pitching for the first time since August 19, allowed one run in three innings. Hector Lujan earned his fourth save with a 1-2-3 ninth inning. He struck out two.
Joe Cavallaro (2-4) struggled with his control in suffering the loss. The right-hander walked four, hit two batters, and uncorked a wild pitch in five innings on the mound. He allowed two runs on five hits.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 24, 2018
- Antone Strikes out 8 in 8-3 Win - Daytona Tortugas
- Clearwater Beach Dogs Win on Requena's Right Arm - Clearwater Threshers
- Davidson Continues Hot Stretch as Florida Falls to Lakeland - Florida Fire Frogs
- Miracle Edge Mets 3-2 - St. Lucie Mets
- Miracle Gain Ground In Playoff Race - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Threshers Silence Stone Crabs 3-1 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Marauders and Blue Jays Postponed; Doubleheader Tomorrow Night - Bradenton Marauders
- Florida Fire Frogs Game Notes: August 24, 2018 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Tampa Tarpons Game Notes: at Daytona - Tampa Tarpons
- Flying Tigers Return Home Monday for Final Homestand of the Season - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Gamboa Laces a Triple, Threshers Lose 4-1 against Dunedin - Clearwater Threshers
- Isabel & Fairchild Homer in 3-1 Win - Daytona Tortugas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Myers Mighty Mussels Stories
- Aaron Sutton Named First Mussels Manager
- Mighty Mussels to Host Ballpark Festival of Beers on January 25
- 'Mighty Mussels' Baseball Team to Debut in Fort Myers
- Zawyer Sports Announces New President, Management Team to Oversee Fort Myers Miracle
- Miracle Announce 2020 Schedule