Davidson Continues Hot Stretch as Florida Falls to Lakeland
KISSIMMEE, Fla. - Tucker Davidson continued his dominance over the Lakeland Flying Tigers with six scoreless frames in the opener of the three-game, weekend set on Friday night, but the Florida Fire Frogs missed out on offensive chances in the 2-0 defeat at Osceola County Stadium.
Davidson scattered four hits through the night, walked just one batter, and punched out seven. The Atlanta Braves' 25th-ranked prospect (MLB.com) has not allowed a run to Lakeland (34-24, 70-58) over his last two starts, covering 13.1 innings of work.
Tyler Watson (0-2) took the loss for the home team by allowing both runs in the game. The side-winding lefty gave up a solo home run to AJ Simcox with one out in the seventh, and allowed an RBI single to Daniel Pinero in the eighth.
Florida (20-36, 49-74) left six men on base throughout the matchup, and finished 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position. The Fire Frogs had runners at second and two outs in first, second, fifth and sixth innings, but failed to push the runner across.
Florida had runners at second and third with just one out in the eighth after Drew Waters (1x4, 2B) doubled with Marcus Mooney (0x2) at first base, but Riley Delgado (0x4) hit into a fielder's choice, and CJ Alexander (2x4, 2 2B) struck out to end the threat.
Waters' double extended the 19-year-old's on-base streak to 14 games, and stretched his hitting streak to nine. Alexander's two doubles capped off the third baseman's seventh multi-hit performance in the Florida State League in just 14 games.
Florida will try to even the three-game set at a game apiece in the middle match on Saturday night at Osceola County Stadium. It has yet to be announced who will take the mound for the Fire Frogs, while the Flying Tigers will send out LHP Gregory Soto (7-7, 4.51). First pitch is scheduled for 6:31 p.m., with coverage starting at 6:15 p.m. with the Florida Fire Frogs Pre-game Show on the Florida Fire Frogs Broadcasting Network.
Saturday is College Football Night at the ballpark! Fans in attendance will have a chance to receive free tickets to college football games in the state of Florida for the 2018 season!
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 24, 2018
- Antone Strikes out 8 in 8-3 Win - Daytona Tortugas
- Clearwater Beach Dogs Win on Requena's Right Arm - Clearwater Threshers
- Davidson Continues Hot Stretch as Florida Falls to Lakeland - Florida Fire Frogs
- Miracle Edge Mets 3-2 - St. Lucie Mets
- Miracle Gain Ground In Playoff Race - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Threshers Silence Stone Crabs 3-1 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Marauders and Blue Jays Postponed; Doubleheader Tomorrow Night - Bradenton Marauders
- Florida Fire Frogs Game Notes: August 24, 2018 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Tampa Tarpons Game Notes: at Daytona - Tampa Tarpons
- Flying Tigers Return Home Monday for Final Homestand of the Season - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Gamboa Laces a Triple, Threshers Lose 4-1 against Dunedin - Clearwater Threshers
- Isabel & Fairchild Homer in 3-1 Win - Daytona Tortugas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.