Miracle Edge Mets 3-2
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - The Fort Myers Miracle clipped the St. Lucie Mets 3-2 at First Data Field on Friday.
David Wright continued his rehab by playing in his ninth game with St. Lucie. For the first time in his rehab assignment he played the entire game. Wright made a couple routine plays at third base and went 1 for 4. His single in the eighth helped set up the Mets final run.
Two of the Miracle runs scored on wild pitches, including their final run in the eighth inning. Caleb Hamilton led off the frame with a triple and scored with one out when a ball deflected to the backstop. The run put the Miracle up 3-1.
The Mets got the run back on a Mike Paez sac fly in the bottom of the eighth, but the Mets went quietly the rest of the way. Hector Lujan struck out two batters in a perfect ninth for his fourth save.
Miracle starter Charlie Barnes was limited to a five-inning start but he made the most of his night. He held the Mets to one run on five hits over 59 pitches to get the win.
Ryan Mason bridged the gap to Lujan with three scoreless innings out of the bullpen.
The Mets took an early 1-0 lead on Dan Rizzie's two-out RBI single in the second inning.
The Miracle answered in the third. Mets starter Joe Cavallaro hit two batters, walked another and threw a wild pitch that let in a run, all after retiring the first two batters of the inning.
Fort Myers took the lead for good in the fourth inning when Taylor Grzelakowski hit a run-scoring single to make it 2-1.
Jacob Zanon went 2 for 3 with a double and a run for the Mets.
The Mets (24-35, 51-75) will aim to snap a four-game losing streak when they host the Miracle (35-25, 63-65) again on Saturday. First pitch is 6:30 p.m. There will be postgame fireworks at First Data Field.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 24, 2018
- Antone Strikes out 8 in 8-3 Win - Daytona Tortugas
- Clearwater Beach Dogs Win on Requena's Right Arm - Clearwater Threshers
- Davidson Continues Hot Stretch as Florida Falls to Lakeland - Florida Fire Frogs
- Miracle Edge Mets 3-2 - St. Lucie Mets
- Miracle Gain Ground In Playoff Race - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Threshers Silence Stone Crabs 3-1 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Marauders and Blue Jays Postponed; Doubleheader Tomorrow Night - Bradenton Marauders
- Florida Fire Frogs Game Notes: August 24, 2018 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Tampa Tarpons Game Notes: at Daytona - Tampa Tarpons
- Flying Tigers Return Home Monday for Final Homestand of the Season - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Gamboa Laces a Triple, Threshers Lose 4-1 against Dunedin - Clearwater Threshers
- Isabel & Fairchild Homer in 3-1 Win - Daytona Tortugas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.