Isabel & Fairchild Homer in 3-1 Win
DAYTONA BEACH, FL - RHP Tommy Bergjans allowed one run in 5 2/3 innings with a season-high seven punchouts on Thursday night against the Lakeland Flying Tigers at Radiology Associates Field at Jackie Robinson Ballpark. RHP Michael Byrne and LHP Carlos Diaz combined to toss 2 1/3 perfect innings to bridge the gap from Bergjans to RHP Joel Kuhnel. Kuhnel closed it out by tossing a scoreless ninth to earn his Florida State League Leading 16th save.
Ibandel Isabel hit a one-out, solo home run, his FSL best 31st of the year, 398 feet to right field to start the scoring in the second. Isabel is now just one homer shy of tying the Daytona record of 32, set back in 2004.
Stuart Fairchild lined a one-out, two run home run 413 feet to left center field in the third, his second in as many days, to extend the lead to 3-0.
Lakeland's only run came in the sixth, when Brock Deatherage drove in Luke Burch with a sacrifice fly to cut the deficit to 3-1.
Bergjans (4-2) allowed one run on three hits with a walk in 5 2/3 innings. He also matched a season-high with seven strikeouts. RHP Matt Manning (4-4) allowed three runs on five hits in six innings, taking the loss. He also walked two and matched his career high with ten strikeouts. Kuhnel earned his 16th save in 18 tries. He allowed a hit in a scoreless ninth.
The Tortugas will welcome in the Tampa Tarpons Friday to begin a three-game weekend series. RHP Tejay Antone (4-3, 4.32) will get the ball in the opener. Tampa will counter with RHP Rony Garcia (0-4, 4.66). Antone and Garcia squared off on Saturday in Tampa with Antone coming out victorious.
First pitch Friday is scheduled for 7:05 PM with coverage beginning at 6:50 PM with the Metcare Pregame Show on AM 1230, AM 1490, and FM 106.9 WSBB.
NOTES: The Tortugas improve to 42-1 when leading after 8-innings... The Tortugas won the season series with Lakeland, 7-6... The Tortugas had lost 11-straight series deciding games coming into tonight... RHP Tommy Bergjans has a 1.76 ERA over his last 5 starts (6 runs in 30 2/3 innings), it's the third lowest ERA in the FSL since 7/31... RHP Michael Byrne has not allowed an earned run in 8 August appearances (12 1/3 innings)... LHP Carlos Diaz has not allowed a run over his last 4 appearances. He has 33 strikeouts in 19 1/3 innings... RHP Joel Kuhnel has converted 16 straight save tries. He has a 1.69 ERA in save opportunities... Stuart Fairchild homered in back-to-back games for the second time in his career. He is 6-for-his-last-8. He has raised his average from .218 to .242 during that span... Courtney Hawkins finished with third multi-hit game. He is 5-for-his-last-9, raising his average from .200 to .294 during that span... Alfredo Rodriguez finished the series 5-for-11 to raise his average from .203 to .235... 19 of Ibandel Isabel's 31 home runs have been solo blasts.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 24, 2018
- Antone Strikes out 8 in 8-3 Win - Daytona Tortugas
- Clearwater Beach Dogs Win on Requena's Right Arm - Clearwater Threshers
- Davidson Continues Hot Stretch as Florida Falls to Lakeland - Florida Fire Frogs
- Miracle Edge Mets 3-2 - St. Lucie Mets
- Miracle Gain Ground In Playoff Race - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Threshers Silence Stone Crabs 3-1 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Marauders and Blue Jays Postponed; Doubleheader Tomorrow Night - Bradenton Marauders
- Florida Fire Frogs Game Notes: August 24, 2018 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Tampa Tarpons Game Notes: at Daytona - Tampa Tarpons
- Flying Tigers Return Home Monday for Final Homestand of the Season - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Gamboa Laces a Triple, Threshers Lose 4-1 against Dunedin - Clearwater Threshers
- Isabel & Fairchild Homer in 3-1 Win - Daytona Tortugas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.