Miracle Build Huge Lead Early, Take Opener 8-3
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Miracle exploded for eight runs in the first two innings to take the series opener over the Palm Beach Cardinals, 8-3, on Friday night at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium.
Blayne Enlow (4-3) paced the Miracle on the mound in his return from the Injured List. Pitching for the first time in nearly two weeks, the right-hander did not allow a hit until Michael Perri doubled with one out in the fifth. It was the only hit Enlow allowed in the game. He was charged with one run in 5.1 inning with two walks and four strikeouts.
For the second straight night, Fort Myers knocked out the opposing starter in the opening inning. Austin Gomber (0-1), who pitched in the big leagues with St. Louis last season, recorded just one out. He walked two and allowed three runs on two hits.
Griffin Roberts took over and he did not make it out of the second inning, walking four. The Miracle drew nine free passes in the game, tying a season-high.
Jose Miranda put the Miracle on the board with a booming two-run double in the first. Ernie De La Trinidad delivered a sacrifice fly.
In the second, the Miracle sent 11 batters to the plate and scored five runs. Andrew Bechtold brought home a pair with a single. Gabriel Maciel, Gilberto Celestino, and Yeltsin Encarnacion also delivered RBIs in the frame. Encarnacion later extended his hitting streak to six games.
Palm Beach scored single runs in the fifth, sixth, and eighth innings, but left the bases loaded twice.
Game two of the three-game series is Saturday night at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium. Right-hander Chris Vallimont will start for the Miracle. First pitch is 5:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Bats Baffled in Series Opener against Stone Crabs - Clearwater Threshers
- Miracle Build Huge Lead Early, Take Opener 8-3 - Fort Myers Miracle
- Stone Crabs Shut out Clearwater 3-0 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Wilkins Blast Beats Blue Jays, 2-1 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Martin Mashes Bradenton Past Daytona, 5-1 - Daytona Tortugas
- Hammerheads Take Series Opener from Mets, 4-1 - St. Lucie Mets
- Tampa Suffers Setback as Lakeland Sweeps Doubleheader - Tampa Tarpons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.