Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season
CURVE, Pa. - Minor League Baseball announced the cancellation of the 2020 season on Tuesday due to the impacts of COVID-19, resulting in no games for the Altoona Curve and it's Eastern League opponents this year.
The decision was reached after Tuesday's meeting involving MiLB's board of trustees, which includes at least one representative from all 14 leagues. The primary concern after consultation with medical professionals and Major League Baseball officials is the safety of fans, players and staff members. Another contributing factor includes Major League Baseball and it's 30 clubs will not provide players to affiliated teams as part of MLB's return-to-play procedures.
The Curve season was scheduled to begin against the Erie SeaWolves on Thursday, April 9 at Peoples Natural Gas Field. However, MLB and MiLB announced on March 12 the season would be delayed. Despite MLB's plan to return to the field in July, there will be no professional baseball competition in Altoona for the first time since 1998.
"We are obviously very saddened by the news that the 2020 Minor League Baseball season is officially canceled," said Curve general manager Derek Martin. "This pandemic has affected everyone and we wish we could provide a much-needed distraction this summer. However, the safety of our fans, employees and the players that take the field are much more important. Our organization couldn't be more appreciative of the support and patience of our community while we navigated all the uncertainty of the past several months. Now that we have some answers, we will continue to be in communication with all of our ticket holders and sponsors to continue to discuss plans moving forward."
"These are unprecedented times for our country and our organization as this is the first time in our history that we've had a summer without Minor League Baseball played," said Minor League Baseball President & CEO Pat O'Conner. "While this is a sad day for many, this announcement removes the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 season and allows our teams to begin planning for an exciting 2021 season of affordable family entertainment."
The Curve front office planned for a variety of scenarios to address ticket purchases for games at PNG Field in 2020. Season tickets, mini plans, flex books, groups, luxury suites and individual game tickets all have the option to retain the value of their tickets for 2021. Everyone that made a ticket purchase for 2020 should contact the Altoona Curve Ticket Office to review their options at 814-943-5400 or email the Curve at [email protected] The Ticket Office is open from 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The Stockyard Team Store remains open online 24/7/365 at AltoonaCurve.com for fans to purchase the latest Altoona Curve gear. Curbside pickup is available on Friday afternoons from 1-4 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 30, 2020
- 2020 Thunder Season Canceled Due to COVID-19 - Trenton Thunder
- Major League Baseball Cancels 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Due to Pandemic - Bowie Baysox
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled - EL
- Fisher Cats, MiLB Will Not Play 2020 Season - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled - Portland Sea Dogs
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- 2020 Akron RubberDucks Season Cancelled - Akron RubberDucks
- 2020 Flying Squirrels, Minor League Season Canceled - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season - Altoona Curve
- Yard Goats Informed by Minor League Baseball That 2020 Season Is Canceled - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Altoona Curve Stories
- Free Food Giveaway at PNG Field on October 13 and 20
- Altoona Curve Hosting Fall Beer Festival on October 17
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season
- Pirates Partner with Curve for Alternate Training Site
- Curve Set Attendance Policies, Entertainment for July 4 Fireworks